Thursday, January 1, 2009

Some GOOD and some BAD news today

I'll start with the good news.  Dad was released from the hospital today and is back in the rehab center.  He looks great, is eating and feels pretty good.  I was able to drive him from the hospital to the rehab center and he did fine and said it was great to be in a car for the first time in a month!  He got a shower soon after returning, which was good because he desperately needed it!  I spoke with the nurse about bringing him home tomorrow afternoon once Steve gets here and we got the free pass to come home, with the stipulation that we have him back before midnight...well of course we can do that.  Dad is very happy about a few hours here at home.

Irene got some very bad news today.  She has an inoperable brain tumor and lesions.  Marty told Dad this evening that they are still discussing options and Hospice was mentioned.  She has had a few strokes in the past week, small ones.  We learned this morning that with her ex husband the same thing happened when she first got the cancer and had some strokes then as well.  When she got very agitated the other day and talked bad about me, that was a clue to her children that they were possibly dealing with strokes again.  Hence why her son immediately called to get her an MRI.  Apparently when this happened several years ago she spoke very badly about family members then too and they won't even repeat what she said then.  Unfortunately I had to hear what she said, but I am over all that and I know without a doubt she would never say anything like that out of spite.  We do not know what course of action will be taken and where things will go from here.  We don't know how long she potentially has, but from the sounds of things she will only get worse from here.  Dad has talked to her several times today, she is of course scared, but I also do not think she has been told everything, which is for the best right now.

Dad and I spent a long time this evening talking about all of this, the what ifs and just everything.  He is very strong and I am not worried about him getting through this tough road to come.  He did say that if she does wind up going before him and not making a big turn around like all the other times that he wants us three kids to be there for him at the funeral.  I told him of course!  My Dad has asked very little of me throughout my life when it comes to big things like this, and I can surely meet this one request.  We talked about so much, and this is not the place to "display" our discussion.  Much of it is private, like most talks of this nature are, but we both are glad we had the talk.

We also spoke of his future healing after coming home for good, and how he must continue making the great progress of the past few days to be able to come home.  I was impressed, tonight he asked me to push him around the hallways for a little trip.  He enjoyed it!  He will go to physical therapy in the morning and they'll get moving again with that.

It was a good day for him and I.  I am so blessed to be here right now.  The timing could not have been more perfect with Irene being readmitted and Dad as well.  It allowed her kids to be with her because one of Dad's kids was with him.  

I did not sleep well again last night, but I do not feel like I am sleep impaired lol.  It was almost 4 am when I fell asleep and I still did not sleep well.  Must be that I do not need much sleep since I am not doing much other than sitting with Dad.  My twin brother will be here tomorrow, and his son Zachary.  Once he gets here we will go spring Dad for a bit and bring him back here.

I miss Dave so much.  I miss Libbi too.  Each day apart it is like I forget more about them,  Sure, we talk but it's not the same.  Just two days now until our family is back together.  It will be so strange being back home.  I do not recall if I have ever been gone for two whole weeks before!

I can't remember if I typed about it yesterday, but it SNOWED!  OK, it more like flurried.  I did take some pictures and even one of Abbi sticking her tongue out catching flakes on her tongue.  None of it really stuck, but it may just be the only snow we see this year so please indulge me!

:)

No comments: