Tuesday, January 20, 2009

3 shots and not great news

I started my day with that orthopedic appointment. They took xrays first then took me to the exam room. Apparently the xrays showed that I have some degeneration of the joint/bone in the elbow. The doctor showed me the xray and said there should be some space between the bones/joint but there is not anymore. There does not seem to be any jagged edges or breaks or noticable tears, just the bones are touching. The doctor thinks this is not helping the tendon problem, but it also is not currently itself creating any problems with the bones. The tendon has been further injured and also affected the muscles in my arm which have begun to overwork. So, for now more cortisone shots were ordered. I was given 3 in the tendon and joint, and this time it hurt quite badly. The doctor said that it hurt more this time because he got the needle right in the tendon where it is bothering me the mst....that's a good thing essentially but hurts a lot more.

I was given a prescription for pain and swelling and will begin physical therapy in a few weeks. The difference this time is that he wants me to completely rest the arm for 2-3 weeks instead of jumping right into therapy and using it full out. We are going to hope and pray this gets me through the summer when he will check me again, barring any other flare-ups.

I am in a lot of pain right now and the hand is swollen. I've not yet pulled back my sleeve on my pullover up to check bruising, etc, I am afraid to.

I do believe this time I will not play my flute for several days. Last time I got the shot I played flute that night. I don't think I will be able to this time. It has been a few times near tears today as the pain and pressure is bad. The doctor said he expected it to hurt worse tonight because I flinched when the needle was in. So far he is right on!

Typing with one hand is not easy. Going to sign off for now.

No comments: