Friday, January 30, 2009

SAFE, for now

29 people were laid off nationwide for the company Dave works for. That is big considering there are only a few plants and it is not tat HUGE of a company employee wise. Dave's job is fine for now. 3 people in his division were laid off today. It appears the market stinks for people to buy boats and rv's (unnecessary luxuries)...of which the company supplies the boat/rv makers with the resins and color matches for those resins for their products. Business has plummeted, but is still taking place. We have known things were tough....bonuses have been few and far between and just a few short years ago they were REALLY nice.

The economy is bad, and while I know that, I guess it became a little more clear today. I have begun to realize that unless something bumps it back up, we may not continue to exist with the things we have now. I look at our house and cars and think that we may have to move or that something may happen to cause us to lose these items. Just a few years ago none of that mattered as things looked good. There did not seem to be the worries that there are in the world today.

On a very good note, my school district will NOT be allowing the city district to take over the school I am at until 2011. The city district announced last week it was going to take over 3 of the county schools that had been scheduled for annexation, ahead of schedule. BUT, the districts signed binding agreements and until the city itself makes the property/homes city then it is still county and therefore students need a school to go to. Kind of hard to get across via typing, but in the long run means I am NOT going to be thrown back into the jobless pool! For a few weeks I worried about having to interview again all summer and I just did not want to go there. It is a VERY long explanation on why I probably would not have had a job, and one of the factors for my district not giving the school up would be all us displaced teachers who had been told the school would not change districts for several more years.

Anyways, it simply means my job is safe and secure and I have nothing to worry about. Apparently at least 2 teachers at my school have been asked NOT to return...bad evaluations. Sort of like me last year BUT for good reason apparently and not to just get rid of them. But for whatever it's worth, I LOVE my job and WILL be returning. I have already been asked to. I should achieve tenure right before the school changes districts, which should help a lot ins securing a different job in the district OR even staying in the position, though I would have to be re-interviewed by the new district even though same school. BUT, for now it doesn't matter.


The girls were good at school today and this week.

No comments: