Saturday, January 3, 2009

Can't sleep

I took my Dad back to the rehab center and dropped him off at midnight.  I decided to go ahead and say goodbye this evening while I had some time alone with him.  We have had such a nice week spending time together.  It was bittersweet though because all of Irene's things had been removed by her children.  She will most likely not be returning there.  Her children are having a family meeting with her doctor early next week.  I know it hurt Dad a little to return to an empty room.  God put me here this week to take care of him when he was in the hospital and allow her children to focus on her instead of trying to deal with both her and him.  Now with my brother here until Sunday that will help too.  

Dad and I both shed a few tears as we said goodbye, and while that has been a normal thing upon leaving him since I moved to Memphis, I can't help but think the next time I see him will be when Irene is gone.  Don't get me wrong, I HOPE she again beats all the odds or at the least can come home and have a relatively peaceful life for however long she has left.

I am blessed to have such a  wonderful father.  I did not really like leaving him there, but we know it has to be done and that it will make him stronger.  There are a few very nice nurses and assistants.  The one tonight told me they adored him because he talks to them and is coherent completely.  Most patients there are not.  I did notice they have a section where they can include short stays for those having cosmetic surgery, etc. as well...sorta neat!

Abbi and Zachary were up until 12:30 am.  Steve and I didn't have the heart to make them go to bed at a more decent hour because they rarely get to play together.  I have just two nights at home to get her back on a more normal schedule with school starting back up Monday.

I had to wait a good, long while before Abbi fell asleep tonight.  She is on the floor in here once again.  She was going to sleep in one of the beds in the room Zachary is in but he likes total darkness and she does not.  Tis ok though, this worked out better for the tooth fairy.  Once Abbi did fall asleep. I wrote a letter from the fairy herself and left the money for Abbi  Thankfully we taught her not to put the tooth under her pillow so much as beside it.  Here, she opted to leave it on the dresser.  That made life simpler for the tooth fairy.

I think I am finally getting tired, whew!  Off I go now.

No comments: