Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pinecones

So, Dave and I were at Walmart yesterday and I saw a bag of pinecones and tried to get them to use for a centerpiece at my Thanksgiving table. HE SAID NO! He said we could take the girls and go gather them ourselves somewhere, I mean, Memphis has TONS of evergreen trees. I wasn't sold on this actually taking place.....BUT....

After church today we took the girls to get their hair cut. After that we took them to McDonald's. AND, we decided that because it was warm (though very cloudy) we would go gather pinecones. I mentioned Bellevue because they have several beautiful groves of pine trees on their MASSIVE property. We really had a nice time gathering them. I can't believe how many were just perfect! And then when we got 3 bags of them there Dave suggested we go to St. Francis to visit the pine trees there, in hopes we may get some bigger or browner or something cones.

So, we came home with four bags of pinecones. I probably do not need but half a bag of the things, but to have a selection...WHOOOOO. And, we got extra so Ellen and I can use some for the decor for the dinner we are decorating for for the Knights.

Gathering pinecones is so peaceful. Sadly, I do not expose my girls to enough wonders of nature. Maybe now with them getting old I will, I cannot be for sure.

Last night, we had a lovely dinner with several other couples from our church group over at Kevin and Jen's. It was so nice to have adult time. BUT, the gals ate in the dining room and the guys ate in the kitchen. We pretty much stayed segregated the whole evening, guy talk and girl talk...pretty nice if you ask me.

I am feeling a lot better. I still cough a little at times and have a bit of raspiness, BUT I have my voice almost back to normal and feel better. I have been trying to get lots of sleep.

Last night, probably 7-8 cars in our neighborhood had their back windows smashed by pumpkins. As I left for church this morning, I saw a police car 3 houses up. As I passed, I saw he was writing something down (still in his car) and next to a car with the back window missing. As I drove further up my street, I saw 3 other cars with missing back windows. ALL of them had been parked on the street. Someone stole pumpkins from the homes and as they drove by hurled the pumpkins at the cars. I called Dave and asked him to check his car, he parks it in the driveway. Ours was fine.

Since he is on the neighborhood board, you can imagine the emails flying today. Apparently, nothing was taken from any of the cars, it was simply vandalism. Police have been in the neighborhood all day. It looks to be the work of teenagers, with a car. Similar things have hit other neighborhoods in our otherwise quiet, nice town.

So, back to more pleasant topic...the girls. Like I said, we had the hair cut today. Libbi lost 2 inches and also had super long layers put in her hair. Her bangs are completely grown out, took 2 years. Abbi's are finally well blended now and we no longer have to pull them back all the time as they tuck behind her ears. WHEW! They look so nice!

Abbi made a really nice Advent wreath at PRE (religious ed) today. Who knew that a sturdy paper plate and 4 toilet paper rolls and some tissue paper could look that nice? I put it on the tall counter and she is excited to "light a candle" (pull some yellow tissue up the tube) each of the next four Sundays. One of the classes of older kids made yule logs in their class today, they were really pretty and reminded me of one I made in 4th grade. My mom would put it out every year and we lit the 3 candles on it each and every night. The wax would drip down the side and make it very colorful and pretty. Mom would look for the drip candles of all different colors so that our yule log was colorful. it made it several Christmases before it just had way too much wax on it to look nice anymore. Maybe the girls and I (and Dave) can visit nature again and find a big yule log of our own to start. I know they would like it! And it would make me feel closer to my Mom. This is the fifth Christmas since we lost her. It seems like yesterday. Christmas hasn't been the same since she died.I think we have only had one where Dad and all us kids/grand kids were able to be together. I am not happy about that. We are so scattered and life just makes it a challenge to be all together. I wish we could. We are going to Ohio this Christmas, I hope to see some of my family. If not, then at least we will be seeing All of Dave's family. His Dad and Aileen will be down here for Thanksgiving, but we will also see them up in Ohio for Christmas.

Anyways, a yule log would help me feel close to my mom and family. I am not sad, I am not upset, I am not even tearing up. The holidays just bring back so many wonderful memories and I want my own children to have memories that they too will one day look back on with fondness. Like gathering pine cones. Such a small, small thing that the girls adored doing and I won't forget them searching for just the right and most perfect ones. I won't forget stopping on the drive into church to watch the geese walk on the street, I won't forget walking by the lake and seeing the ducks, I won't forget looking at Dave and telling him we have a new place in which he can take the girls pictures throughout the year.

Dave and I needed today, probably more than the girls. We each seem to have our own life and barely have time to think about the other. Our few moments home as a family are busy with the girls. We had a bit of a fight the other night, but I like how we get over them quickly. I guess the one you are married to is supposed to be the one you love the most, but also the person who annoys you the most too. I do love him dearly, I know he loves me, but we just haven't been making the effort lately to show our love, act like a couple, or even really talk. Life has been busy, and it is too easy to forget why we are together in the first place. With the economy so bad, it is bothering him a lot too. Very little in the world seems sure anymore, except for him and I and our families. It is so easy to forget that. Then the girls certainly keep us busy. We go through this every so often, and we find a way to recharge and move ahead. Gathering pine cones put us back in the right place. We didn't need to tell each other this, we just knew it.

Anyways, I know we will find a way to make it in this poor economy, and make memories for each other and our girls.

Two days of work this week. Two fairly easy days. The best news is that I will be HOME each night. The girls have dance Monday and Tuesday, but I do not have rehearsals, gigs or anything. Tomorrow night I will be making my timeline of cooking for turkey day. I know pretty much everything I am doing, I just want to organize it all and I have to still buy a few of the things.



:)

1 comment:

Justin and Sarah Rose said...

Go see "Fireproof" - I promise it WILL change your life and your marriage! ~Sarah~