YAHOO....no more phyiscal therapy! My last session was today and I am free! I have all sorts of stretches and things to do and have directives to follow.....if I ever have any twinge or pain, I am to ice the area and take my Celebrex. If that and a few days rest doesn't make it better then I am to go right back in to physical therapy. My normal therapist was leaving as I came in (on Thursdays I have a diff. therapist) and he came and talked to me for a few minutes. I must wear the strap indefinitely so that the tendon is not stressed, and just because it feels ok does not mean I am allowed to stop wearing it. Since the tears in my tendon will never heal themselves, we need to keep the strength distributed and away from the damaged area...hence the job of that strap brace.
Anyways, I am glad to be done, though the heat wraps, the ice therapies and the ultrasounds felt really nice and almost at times like pampering! BUT, I'll trade those things for being home from work faster and using less gas.
Work ended with a bit of excitement! I went out to do bus duty and the principal and I learned that one of our buses had been involved with another bus in an accident at the middle school (which is just adjacent to our school just beyond a slight hill). We knew which bus it was and were told one kid had a broken leg and some others got cut when the back window broke. The buses had middle school students on them, ours had yet to be released from school. SO...it was a bit odd to have ambulances and new helicopters and such all around. We chose not to tell our kids what had happened as to not upset them at all. Our bus driver was not hurt and it was a different bus that hit hers, we were so relieved! I know these ladies who drive the buses may not be on the same educational level, economic level, etc (i am stopping before I get mean), but they are very nice ladies who have the enormous task of getting our kids to school then back home safely. They are taken for granted so many times. , I have learned and entirely new respect for them! Anyways, the one bus route kids were sent home on another bus and 30 minutes after our dismissal, our driver drove by, taking her bus back to the lot and we were so glad to know then she was ok.
Now, on this 9/11 day, the memories still seem so close of the twin towers being hit with the planes and them falling down to dust. Dave had already moved here to TN and I was still living in Ohio, with my parents until I was able to move. Abbi was just a few weeks old. I remember it was the first night that she had slept somewhat decent. I had been awakened around 4 or 5 am to feed her, then because she nor I were sleeping well at all, I put her in bed with me. She loved it and fell right asleep. In the morning, I recall being awakened from a deep sleep by my Mom. She had been leaving to go to her weight watchers meeting and when she got in the car she heard the news reports. She came back in the house and had Dad turn the tv on and so began the same thing Americans across the nation spent the rest of the day doing watching in disbelief. The first tower had just been hit, Mom came upstairs and woke me up, telling me to turn my tv on. It was so odd. I then went downstairs and we just kept watching and seeing the tragedy unfold. There is something very unsettling about watching two 100 plus story building turn into dust, and seeing the Pentagon destroyed then watching the plane radar seeing planes off track that ended up being part of the whole plan. It was a somber day where families all reminded themselves what was most important and took the time to check on each other and be together to get through the pain of our country under attack. I mean, us, the strongest place in the world under attack, and not knowing what was next or if our own towns would be hit. Dave and I were on the phone a good portion of the day. We made the decision to move me and Abbi down to TN to be with him. I wasn't medically cleared until Oct 1 to travel, but we ignored it...ya know, sometimes being together as a family is more important and worth the risk. We spent the next several days on the phone and when we were finally reunited it was very nice. Dave had already rented an SUV to move more of our things home on a weekend visit, but we decided it would take Abbi and I too. It was the longest car trip of my life. It was so hard to leave my own family, but we could not be apart at a time when we had no idea what was going on in the world. We needed to be together.
9/11 is a day no one will ever forget. The impact it has had is everywhere. In 2005, I spent my spring break in New York City with the band. We visited the site of the tower collapse as well as 2 of the churches right there near Ground Zero....it was sobering. The high school kids began to cry when we got to the top of the escalator to the observation overlook in the business mall that had been across the street. I too had tears, it really hits you when you look that thousands of people lost their lives in that spot and the impact of it. The churches still had many of the memorabilia items on display. Just was a bit eerie. When we walked around the perimeter of ground zero (it was actually fenced in), you couldn't help but think that people had died right where you walked.
I pray that my children continue to live their lives in relative calm and never have to firsthand experience anything like that. I will never forget about the daycare that had so many children killed, many that had just been dropped off just minutes before the building was destroyed. I don't even want to begin to imagine those parent's feelings of utter loss. Or those children who may have had a few moments of being more scared than they ever have in their life. I'd like to think it all happened so fast they never knew.
It indeed changed the way we trust and feel too secure in our lives.
Tomorrow is Friday and this weekend is not as busy as last weekend. YAY.
Off I go.....
No comments:
Post a Comment