Wednesday, July 2, 2008

yep...a cortisone shot!

Another great day here in the house! It ended with a painful cortisone shot in my elbow and now an extremely painful and numb elbow! I am happy to report that the shoulder is not really the issue, it's a whole new problem. I have been diagnosed with tennis elbow, it has a fancy name, but that's really what it is. It was probably brought on by changing my conducting style after I injured my shoulder, but it is a completely different injury. So, the shot itself wasn't too painful, and the girls came in right at the end and I had to put on a very happy face for the worst of it. There was one shot site, but he put the stuff into about six different places. I have to be very careful to keep the shot site clean and am not allowed swimming or being in a dirty place for a few days. If any infection were to get in the elbow, it would be bad. So, the stuff started to kick in and numb the arm on the drive to the pharmacy to get my drugs. OH MAN, I almost threw up it was so painful. I could not latch or unlatch my seat belt, the girls had to do it for me. I was told to ice the elbow as much as I could the next few days, to use a sling, and to take prescription ibuprofen and also a round of steroids. Apparently the tendon is damaged and doing all this should help it. I am not supposed to use the arm for a few days. Thankfully, orchestra was cancelled, so I did not have to miss that. And, yes...it is my right arm, so trying to do everything with the left hand is slow. I also have to get a wrist brace with a metal thing in it to help alleviate the stress on the elbow, which also has been creating pain in the wrist area and forearm.

The girls have been so helpful, being my hand and arm. There is not a lot I can do. They stood and watched the second half of my shot being administered, and it did not seem to bother them, I was shocked.

Sleeping is going to be interesting. I like sleeping on my right side and I can't. I'll know in a few weeks if this works or not. I do hope I can play my flute Sunday.

It was a good day though! I made a picnic lunch for us and we headed back to the park with the neighbors. We had a really good time and again the weather was great! I again stayed in the shade and with a breeze it was just so nice. After that, we headed to the car dealer for the van's oil change. They have a playroom, but the girls kept fighting so I made them sit with me in the waiting area. Then it was off to the doctor.

No comments: