I awoke this morning to a dump truck delivering 6 tons of sand to our front yard. Actually, it was just 3 tons, and our neighbor got 3 tons too. Still, I expected even 3 tons to look like a whole lot more. I am sure Dave will tell you that it FELT like 20 tons, he moved every bit of it, part of the back yard to level the ground under our pool and the rest all over our front yard to help level the ground itself and get rid of small ruts that have been there with the ground settling in two years since the house was built. I have no idea how he did this as it got to 100 degrees today, 120 if you count the heat index. He did keep coming in and drinking water and sitting down every so often, and of course I watched him to make sure he wasn't getting too hot. The girls swam next door for a bit then went down to swim in another friend's big pool for a few hours. Oh my, you can bet when they got home they were cranky butts! They dried off then went next door to play Star Wars on Nintendo or Xbox or Wii (not sure which) for a bit. Honestly, with the girls NOT at our house all day you'd have thought Dave and I could have spent some time together. Nope, he was busy with that sand and then getting the pool filled with water again, and then he got in and fell asleep.
After all that, we went out to dinner at the local Mexican place. When we got home, I got Libbi in the tub with me and Abbi and Dave headed to the grocery store to get the food for the picnic tomorrow. He told me yesterday that we were responsible for getting the hot dogs and hamburgers and us bringing a side dish. WHAT THE HECK??? Less than 24 hours notice that I have to basically prep for a picnic for three softball teams, and relax on my one day that Dave is home and I can sleep in and not have to be with the girls alone all day??? LOL, I decided not to panic. Simple for me to make a tripled recipe of pasta salad (I cheated, the box kind then I add other stuff in). So, as Abbi was in the tub after they got back and I had Libbi eating a snow cone, I cooked all that pasta. It's now done and in the fridge ready for tomorrow. See, I COULD have done it tomorrow morning, but I have to play church services (some great music too) and will only be home for a few minutes before we have to leave for the ball fields. I am counting on m husband to pack everything up in the coolers.
Oh yeah, and still not real rain yet. We had a 60 percent chance today and not a drop (though there is still another hour and a half in the day yet and possible storms coming). It will wait until tomorrow, I just know it. Our yard looks like a huge sandbox right now. We don't have to put seed down because the way the grass grows here it actually spreads faster with the sand. I am anxious to see how quickly the new grass covers the sand. Our neighbor's yard matches ours right now.
I am still anxiously awaiting word from the unemployment insurance to see if I will be approved for benefits. If I am, I will be paid $275 per week (retro to beg of June) until I have a job (or for 26 weeks, whichever comes first). I should get a letter from the state any day now.
Still no job prospects. I have about four more weeks until I may have to make a huge career change, and is it terrible that part of me WANTS to? The unemployment office can help, and the ladies that work in the one I went to were very nice and said they would help me if I wanted to pursue one of the jobs in their database. This is new and scary territory for me, but I still feel that either way this turns out, I will be MUCH happier than I have been. I don't know what lies ahead, and for so long, I did. It is difficult for Dave to just support my feelings, but with the girls still on summer break for another month he knows I won't just sit here and not go back to work at all when they go back to school. I can't just stay home, unless I were to secure some really good work from home job (NOT babysitting). I spoke with my doctor's wife last night (they go to our church and I am friends with her) and asked her what background is necessary to be a medical receptionist or office worker, she said nothing really. Hmmm. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, I may very well secure a teaching job and not have to worry.
Well, time to go switch the laundry over. Oh yeah, the girls fell asleep as soon as they hit the bed.....happy sigh.
No comments:
Post a Comment