The Passion Play production is over for this year. The last performance was tonight, and as soon as we played the last note, the tech crew was tearing down the sets and transforming the church back to normal. A bit sad, but nice that I will be back home again. I really went non-stop from 7 am this morning until 10 pm this evening.
Nothing real funny tonight at the Play except that the mics went out towards the end for no reason anyone could find, but somehow, before the song (solo) began, they were working again. I feared for a moment that the Orchestra was going to drown out Jesus's mother's solo lol...such a pretty song too! One of the baby lambs got really noisy tonight, it was rather funny. I also noticed some of the cast changing the words just a little bit in their dialogue, I wonder if that's normal for the last show of the run?
So, the near tragedy. The Jazz Band had a performance at 5-5:30 today for the 8th grade Orientation. We were in the auditorium, and most people had already left to go visit the club tables and hear other groups. My band was playing their last song and while I was conducting, I looked up from the music to see a huge pair of scissors flying down right in front of my face, just inches from me. They landed, tip down, on my music stand and then bounced onto the side, yet staying on my music stand. I was stunned! The kids kept playing, and I brushed the scissors off my stand onto the floor as I needed to see my music. I was shaking so badly. The song ended and I turned to one of the counselors who was sitting in the front row. With my foot, I moved the scissors to her and she picked them up. The only thought I recall is wondering who was throwing things at me and why would they do it with the principal and several counselors in the room? Turns out they fell off of the wall sconce up near the ceiling on the very front of the opening to the stage (like attached to the wall/ceiling just in front of where the curtain closes). We figure they must have been up on top of that sconce and the theater director said he hasn't ever used that thing or been up that high so they were probably up there from the former director..which means at least 6 years! Why today they fell off is beyond me. I usually stand right where they fell, but I split the saxes into two rows and stood back further. Had my regular concert band been on the stage, they'd probably have hit a student in the front row. I cringe thinking of the what ifs. BUT, alas, there is a funny involved. we were just about to the part in Channel One Suite where the music actually says...play in a sleazy, stripper style. Maybe the scissors falling was a sign lol. I usually help the trombone that plays the sleazy part by singing his part, but i totally missed that and so did he, I do believe a sign was sent lol.
God was watching over me, God made me change the seating just a few hours prior to the performance, God had a plan and kept me and my students safe. Wow!
I am tired, I need to go to bed. I am cold. It snowed all morning, but because there;s no window in my classroom, I missed it all. BOOO! The forecast is calling for snow later this week though, snow that STICKS. We'll see.
Off I go.
No comments:
Post a Comment