Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A WEE bit better day

I slept awful yet again last night.  The wind howled all night and I heard things bumping around.  The wind seems to have died down considerably so perhaps it will be a quiet night.  Not to mention Abbi is here with me tonight so I am not all alone.

Let's see...how the day went.

Dad called me around 8:30 am to say the doctor had been in and they planned on keeping him until Thursday morning.  He told me he ate breakfast and it actually tasted really good.  We both celebrated!  He knew I was going to try and get more sleep.  I tried, but around 10:30 I just knew there would be no more sleep for me.  Not to mention I needed to go pick Abbi up.  It was more than wonderful of Debbie and her family to adopt her for a day so I could be with Dad.

We then took off for the hospital to see Dad.  He sure looked good when we got there!  I guess since I had not seen him prior to the heart surgery I did not notice how pale he was.  He has lost near 40 pounds in a month.  A good deal of weight loss for a man his size is normal with that surgery, but not that much.  They believe the dehydration was happening gradually since he was moved to the rehab center.  He said the food really is awful there, the rehab center.  He does try it and he was eating what he could.  His taste has come back and his mouth is no longer as dry as it had been lately.  His face has filled out some and he has pinkened up (is that a word???).  We had a very nice visit and wow are the nurses nice there!  He and I are both impressed!

Around 4 pm he got a surprise guest.  Marty and Kenny opened the door and then in behind them came Irene.  She wanted to see Dad.  They had taken her to get an MRI and were taking her back to the Care Center when she asked to see him.  After the day and argument they had yesterday they both needed it.  Dad was so happy to see her and she was happy to see him...they sat holding hands for a good several minutes...so sweet!  While they were visiting, Marty got the call that her results were not good and she needed to return to the hospital pronto.  The cancer had spread and appears to have caused some small strokes and perhaps seizures.  To look at the women you really would not know how terribly sick she is.  So, she was admitted to a hospital downtown.  Marty told Dad after Irene left the room, they have decided not to tell Irene a lot because it just confuses her which in turn agitates her.  I saw tears in his eyes again.

This man, my father has such a gentle but strong heart..he amazes me.  I know with every ounce of me where my tenderness comes from.  I may seem like a sap on the outside, but I am indeed strong on the inside.  Just like my Dad.

SO, Dad's dinner let him down after such a good breakfast and lunch...the meat was so dry.  His nurse said everyone complained about it.  He did eat some ice cream and a big dish of mandarin oranges though.  Oh, and Dad had to get a heparin shot in the stomach, just like me a few years ago!

We left at 6:45 pm.  Traffic was easy and we headed to a pizza place for dinner before coming back to the house.  Abbi watched Shrek 2 downstairs and I watched maid in Manhattan.  She is now in the tub taking a bath and then hopefully will stay awake with me for the big MIDNIGHT 2009!  She is so funny, upstairs singing.  On the drive home tonight she was singing Over the River....and she only knew the first part.  So, I taught her the rest and we sang it very loud!  TEE HEE, it was fun.

Not sure if I will make it to midnight, though I think I will.  Dave just called and I think he is going on to bed.  It is an hour earlier at home, so it'll be midnight earlier here YAHOO!!

While I feel for Irene...I am glad my Dad is doing much better.  I can't explain it, but I know he is going to be just fine healing himself and with whatever happens with Irene.

So, with that I will say HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009!!!!

No comments: