Wednesday, December 17, 2008

TREE is over, bummer

Well, tonight was the last performance of the TREE for this year. I must say I was not really looking forward to it beforehand, I love the show and music and even though I am so tired, I was sad for it to be almost over. And each song I played I thought about it being my last "first year TREE" with the orchestra. Naturally, it got over way too quickly. In one song, I completely botched a solo when my headphones went out and I missed the click track countoff. I cannot see the conductor and on half the songs we have an automatic countoff/prep so that we will play with the computers running the lights on the Christmas tree. Weird to explain, but it was just not good. I really doubt many people noticed, but I did and well, I wasn't happy. It sort of ruined the rest of the show for me, though I managed to pull it back together. I actually made mistakes on 2 solos, which is NOT normal, but then the entire orchestra had some little off moments. We are tired and this is only the 11th time in a week we have done the show (counting dress rehearsals and performances) so our brains must have started to shut down and not pay attention.

OK...so now onto the next event. We do a special Christmas concert type deal this Sunday night. I will be the flute soloist for everything since Molly won't be there. A LOT of music for that as well, and a few complicated, but most are so pretty and not too difficult.

To catch up on life. That ice storm really never hit us Monday night into Tuesday. It went north of us. We did have school and I was actually not too happy about that. I was mentally prepared to be at home with my girls making a gingerbread house. But instead we were at school. It was very cold and windy and some overpasses were slick when a little freezing rain came right before morning rush hour, but I actually made it to work FASTER than normal because many had left early to go or just did not go. However, it was very nice to be home with them Monday night instead of performing. Now with it over, I will be home tomorrow night and once the holidays are over life will be a lot calmer too.

The girls have not had a good week. They have been cooped up inside at school because of the cold temperatures and even my students are not doing well either. It is somewhat of a relief to know it is not just my girls, but still very annoying. I got a voice mail this morning from one of Abbi's principals, about a bus incident. I thought oh no.....what did she do? Actually, nothing. According to the message, another boy threatened her and several other students on the bus (not sure with what or how) and the principal called just to tell me that it was taken care of and naturally to let me know in case she talked about it happening. He was proud of her for going to him. WOW. OK, so a bit of good behavior. But I want to know from her what happened, only ABbi was asleep when I got home tonight.

I must admit that I am not looking forward to Christmas. We will leave Monday the 23rd for Ohio and our plans include Dave dropping me off in Columbus so I can be with my Dad. It looks like I will not be with Dave or the girls at all for Christmas because he will take them back down to Cincinnati. We have not discussed how long I will stay, but it may be until Jan 4. The thought of not seeing my girls for 2 weeks and not being with them is a little daunting now that I have some time to think about it. But having the girls there around my Dad while he is healing is not good. Especially if Dad is home and Irene gets released from the hospital too. Would just be too stressful with little kids around.

I am looking forward to seeing my Dad and spending time with him, and even having a chance to just relax, but I just cannot seem to get myself in the Christmas spirit. Could be because I won't be getting any gifts this year. Dave decided we would not exchange and with my Dad being in the rehab center still. I like getting a present or two, and I won't this year. Of course we have things for the girls. I know this is selfish to think like this and I completely realize that Christmas is not about the gifts but about celebrating Jesus's birth, but without my girls and Dave for Christmas as part of it I am just sad. Maybe I am just very tired right now and a little emotional tonight. I will be going to bed very soon.

With that I am headed to bed. My school choir has their little concert tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: