Wednesday, December 3, 2008

So high tech!

The orchestra I play with became VERY high tech tonight! The Tree performances begin next week, and like I mentioned before the entire orchestra was going to wear headphones and be able to hear everything going on, and follow click tracks to some of the songs since they must be in sync with the things going on on the stage and the lighting system in the huge tree.

Anyways, each section has a box to control all the channels of the other sections, and makes the settings to what will work best for us. Then on each of our music stands is a little box that is hooked to the big box of the section leader. We put our headphones in that little box on our stand and we can control how loud the mix is in our ears. It is really neat! We could play the entire show without a conductor, but there will be one. I am on one side of the "pit" and the furthest person from me is way across, far away. It is difficult to hear anyone there, even the ones in front of you. It is important to be able to hear when playing live lol. With this cool stuff, we can! It is strange and weird, but apparently those in the recording studios all the time are used to this sort of thing and they want to move us to using it all the time. HMMMM, wonder if we have a big recording session in our future?

I walked the ENTIRE mall in less than 40 minutes this evening. I was on a mission of trying to find leg warmers for my girls to be part of their dance costume for the parade this weekend/performances next weekend. I stopped in EVERY store that sold kids clothes and also those that sold women's clothes. I had very little luck. I did find 2 pairs of women's leg warmers and then went to another store and found a pair of woman's that was adjustable. I sure hope they work out! I got a LOT of walking in since I walked both floors and in and out of stores. That's good as part of my new diet plan.

Today I had.....

Breakfast: Two 90 calorie chocolate chunk granola bars, 1 can coke zero
Lunch: Salad, homemade turkey fajita, 1 bottle water
Dinner: a leftover turkey fajita, 1 bottle water

If I type what I had to eat here then I am more accountable. Just bear with me please.

I had practice with my choir kids this morning and can I just say WOW???!!!!! I am so darn proud of those kids. I tell you, today they gave me the same exact feeling that my HS band kids gave me when they would do a great job. I never thought it possible to have that with the little kids, I just never even expected it. Allright, they are 3rd and 4th graders, BUT STILL. We are working out a time during one of the last days of school in a few weeks for them to perform during the school day. In the spring, they will have a chance to do an evening concert. I have found my niche......this is where I should be, doing exactly what I am. Do you know that today with my kindergartners and first graders I had them doing ballet with their arms and LOVING IT???? It matched the music we were doing, and at first the boys looked at me weird but then ended up LOVING it. Who would have thought. Most of these kids still have that sweet innocence. My arms on the other hand are very tired after doing this so much (longgggg song hehe). WE mix it up with ballet arms, waving pretty arms, bird arms and then using the hands to ice skate on the legs (while sitting Indian style). It is to go with the Skater's Waltz as we study a winter song lol. Brilliant or what? I do have a few cool lessons. Do you know how nice it is to have kids look at you, smile and not roll their eyes at you or refuse to do as you ask? They do it because they are asked to and if I told them to walk upside down on their hands I know they would!

It is storming and I LOVE it. It is that nice rumbly thunder and steady rain. A cold front is moving through. We should have a bit more of this the next few hours. It got to about 63 today but tomorrow they say only 40.....yoyo temps.

Well, I am tired and want to go to bed. I slept wrong on my neck and boy is it sore! My cough has returned to each time I breathe (well, not EVERY time, but a lot).

No comments: