My children went to a Girl Scouts roller skating party tonight. I knew Abbi had been with the daycare in the summers a few times TWO summers ago and she talked of how good she was. However, I also know how lanky and tall she is and I thought she would be, well....awkward. NOPE...as soon as her skates were on, the girl zoomed off to be with her friends. I cried, I really did. I wasn't prepared for how good she would be. I was also worried she would get hurt, I mean, falling is normal when skating, that much I do remember. Nope, she was happy as anything, giggling at her falls and getting right back up. Libbi had a preconceived notion that she as NOT going to skate. She'd never been and well, my girl is nervous with new activities. A few minutes into the evening, she asked for skates, which of course I ran to go get for her (well, I did not really run, but you know I walked fast). I asked them to tighten her skate wheels, on the advice of a friend who said would help her fall less. Libbi held my hand and we walked around on the carpet as she got used to the skates. She was so into it hehe. By the end of the night, her sister was taking her around the rink and she even was brave enough to skate to the middle and back once without falling.
SIGH, my girls are getting big. My girls are good at athletic things and not noodley, two left feet messes when it comes to things involving wheels.
Nice evening.
We got home and Abbi was doing homework. Libbi finished her shower and came to say goodnight to Abbi and they hugged and kissed and did noses (eskimo kisses).....it was so sweet it melted me yet again. Usually, they just say goodnight, but tonight there was a little more sister love going on. Another happy sigh.
The best news of the day is that the school PASSED the accreditation process. We were marked exceptional in every, single category, which is extremely rare. They said if the accreditation system had something in place to show off MODEL SCHOOLS, ours would be at the top. WOW. They have to give us some areas to work on though, it is a requirement, but apparently they had to look long and hard. In fact, they looked at all the things we said in the preparation documents and things we wanted to improve on. The top thing they said for us to work on was our dream of having a laptop for each student, to be met slowly by adding more laptops to the school. The second and last area for improvement was trying to make time for teachers to meet not only at grade levels, but also have teams across the grades to help tie together even more of the curriculum school-wide instead of just grade wide. WOW...those are things we can do and not big, blaring errors like most schools get. I really did almost tear up, sitting there as they spoke to us and then as our principal spoke to us, that I am INDEED where I belong. That principal is an amazing person and the staff at this school is amazing and the kids are great. All of it is great because we all know what to expect, we all do our jobs and put the kids first. The staff gets along and it feels like family. God put me there....more like led me back to there so I could again feel peace and happiness. I love what I teach the kids every day, I love all the hugs and the man, many times each day I hear them call my name frm across the cafeteria, out the bus window, you name it...because they love me and more so my class. It has done something very good to my ego. It is cool to have kids tell you as they get off the bus they are happy because they get to come to my music class that day. Better yet, on the way back to the bus after school they tell me they will see me in fun music class tomorrow. WOW. Sure, I have bad moments, kids melting down or plain misbehaving, but you know...I am happy and want to make a difference in THESE kid's lives. I want them to love music and have a better understanding.
Now we have to show evidence within two years of meeting those improvements (which really were goals we set for ourselves anyways) and will be free of this lengthy process for at least 5 years. YAHOO!!!! I digress.
It rained ALL day today. It was no warmer than 52 degrees ALL day. And I absolutely loved it! My favorite time of year is here.
My bathtub is calling me for a long, hot soak before bed. I am tired!
No comments:
Post a Comment