Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Abbi's first essay

Abbi has written her first essay for a citizenship literature contest., sponsored by the PTA at school. We just finished it. I am so very proud of her and excited! A few weeks ago when the letter about this came home, we talked about it and she said it was something she wanted to do. We started an outline and worked on it a few times. She then put it all into sentences and I think it turned out great! Even if it does not win, it was very special to do it together and to see the energy she put into it! She even wrote neatly! It will be judged first at the school level and then can move on to the district level and on from there too. I have typed below exactly what she wrote....

PRIDE IS FOREVER

Pride is something all of us should have forever. We should work every day to do our best, follow rules, and be nice to others. There are many ways to have pride. You can learn our nation’s patriotic songs and share them with others. You can take care of the land in the USA, in your own yard and city. Every day you should say the Pledge with your hand on your heart. Be very helpful to others who may be poor or sick by giving them clothes, food, and a place to live. Save the animals by keeping their homes clean and not taking their food away. Learn to respect everyone no matter where they are or what they look like. If we are proud of ourselves, our country, and others, then pride will last forever.


P ractice good behavior.
R espect everyone
I is not the most important person, we are
D o your best work
E at healthy to stay strong


I hope we find out quickly who won at the school level, I really just want to now how she does. In watching her do this essay, I am reminded how much she has learned in just a few short years. It is amazing the words she can spell, the math she can do, etc.

Libbi is making HUGE strides at school herself! Her letter recognition and spelling has improved extremely quickly in just the past few weeks! She can write or know most of her letters now and only gets stuck on a few. Big change from a month ago! The light bulb in her brain has lit up brightly when it comes to school and she is one excited learner now!

Report cards come home tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning, about 60 of my 4th graders are singing at a special breakfast to welcome the accreditation team who will be evaluating and grading our school the next two days. The kids are ready and will sound wonderful! My classroom is very clean and orderly with not a single thing out of place hehe. The team may come to my classroom as part of the process, ANYWHERE in the school is fair game and they may even watch us teach too!

I had a very strange dream last night, that had me waking up breathing very hard. The dream had something to do with bugs, LARGE bugs and I am happy that my brain has forgotten most of what it was about. I woke up two different times the same way, and finally fell asleep peacefully. I don't feel any worse for wear, but I do recall checking my heart rate one of the times because it scared me how fast I was breathing hehe. Don't you just hate those kinds of dream where it all seems real and your body reacts? When Abbi was just a few months old, I had a horrible dream about being on a cruise with her (she was a toddler) and the ship sinking and as we stood on the deck, the water was rising and she was simply holding the rails and playing like nothing was going on. Naturally, I knew that was it and it tore me apart knowing she had no idea. I woke up sobbing and calling her name that time. Thankfully that dream has not revisited me. Most nights I just sleep and do not recall anything. I do remember a few from growing up/teenage years. The bugs was a new one though.

Not much else from here tonight. I am tired. Bed will come early as I have to leave here before 7 am in the morning, a full hour earlier than normal.

No comments: