but instead I am, here. I just got home from the Band contest my former band program hosted. Last year I had to cancel it because of rain and with the new director this year he asked me to help him in the press box with scoring. So, I did just that. I got there a little early and made sure to get with the Booster president/contest chairman to help remember little things that may have been forgotten. It felt good to be back again with the kids, the parents and making a bit of a difference!
It was fun doing the scoring, but I did not get to see very many shows. However, when what used to be my band performed, I went on top of the press box to see and hear them.
WOW...I am extremely proud of how far they have come musically. They had a good blend and intonation that I just was not able to tweak and get to that point. The marching and drill was a little weakly executed BUT was very good and fresh. Beautiful color guard costumes, like a breath of fresh air.
Taylor has taken what I started with them and made the blossom. They'll get there, he will get there. It was sad to have to turn my kids over to him, but I knew he would be what I could not, and make them achieve what I just did not know how to quite do. I would certainly not say this about just any director. The kids really like him, but today was clear evidence that they like me too and I hold a special place in their hearts just like they do in mine. It felt good to be back with them, felt good to get all the hugs, and it was even nice to have the rookies saying...so YOU'RE Mrs. Z, while smiling because they had heard good things.
On the other hand, it was great to be able to get in my car when I wanted to soon after it was over and leave. The huge responsibility of that program is no longer mine. It was so much work and I now can hardly believe I made it all happen the years I was there. I almost am not sure how the heck I did it. But, I did and I've moved onto a different place now where I am not spending hours upon hours living and breathing band. Do I miss my old job, not on your life. Do I miss my students, of course! Being with them today made it seem like just yesterday when I said goodbye.
I took a potty break and ran into the principal, I surely tried not to but I did. He smiled at me and yelled my name across the room, so I really had no choice but to be polite and go say hello. He hugged me and asked how I was, and of course said I looked much more relaxed, etc. The entire day I just prayed I'd not cross his path, all those feelings of anger of what he helped put me through last year were brought right back up just being at the school. BUT, I know I am in a far better place now for me personally. And frankly, even though I wanted to ignore him or say mean and nasty things, I didn't...I let him hug me and smiled right back. I honestly think he truly meant what he said today and that his smile TODAY to me was genuine. As I walked away, I quickly heard that voice inside my heard jump for joy that I no longer have to deal with him on a daily basis. But it sure felt good to have him be nice to me for the first time ever I think!
So, I should be asleep. I am headed there now. I have to be at church by 8:30 am to play a few services, but then will come home before heading back for a rehearsal at 4 pm.
My weekend has flown and been so busy.
So, I am now going to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment