Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I love playing flute

I am just home from a dress rehearsal for the orchestra's performance Friday night, we went through most of the music and I am once again in awe that I am a member of such a wonderful group! We were in the actual hall we will perform in, although not with the mics yet. See, we have to use mics because they record and video us and then sell the productions in the Bookstore.

My piccolo has returned from the "hospital" and I am VERY happy with it! With the change of seasons, the pads in the keys changed shape, so they were simply removed and re-glued back in place and then put under pressure clamps to "re-seat" them. When the pads change shape, they no longer close properly and cause major leaks, which is what was happening. We are going to try and wait until after the Christmas productions/performances to do the re-padding that was not done before. It sounds WONDERFUL! It will go downhill, but it should get me through the holidays before we can do the more major work on it. But how nice it sounds right now!

I have found that my playing has really improved in the past 10 months since I joined the orchestra. I am playing regularly and feel back in shape (as compared to my college days). I wish my Mom was still alive to hear me play with this group, she would be so proud. Isn't it funny how much you realize you missed something, yet when you weren't doing it you kept busy with other things that made you think you were complete? Well, I just cannot explain how great it is to be back with MY music. It is a completely different kind of gratification than teaching music. It just sort of feels like everything is right with the world when I play with that group. I know most of you will probably never understand how or why I feel this way, but I love playing almost as much as being alive! It is the thing I do that makes me able to best express myself and share it with others via the sound.

Mush, Mush....I know. Sorry I am on a music trip this week.

Other news, I had my pre-evaluation meeting today with a principal at work. It went great! I had to pick 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses and give reasons (part of the official State of TN eval paperwork), so we discussed that today then set the date for the first of 2 observations in my classroom. Nov 4 is the big day! It will be with one of my awesome kindergarten classes. I know the lesson I will do with them, I am so ready! The second observation will be a drop-in where the main principal will just show up and watch me.

I am not nervous at all about this. I was horribly and horridly nervous last year, but I also knew all the "junk" and well.....this just cannot compare. Maybe it is because I belong where I am now and doing what I am doing now. I don't really care, I just know I feel really good and I know I will get extremely high marks. It will be the typical loads of paperwork at each step of the way, but I am a pro at that.

:) Bedtime, I am so sleepy.

No comments: