Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Two good days in a row!!!

The girls had yet another great day at school! Both stayed on the highest conduct mark (YAY LIBBI) and Abbi brought home a stack full of almost all As on her graded work from last week. She and I discussed the things she missed and how to avoid making what amounts to silly mistakes. Libbi is FINALLY starting to recognize letter by sight and in the ability to write them.

The school district has adopted new reading series/textbooks for the elementary schools, and it is amazing how much more I like it than the things Abbi had the past few years. No need to elaborate, I just really like it and they are making reading fun and fresh!

School went well for me, I was all alone to do dismissal bus duty as the principal that does it with me had a meeting. I was nervous. It is one thing helping out but to actually be the one to call the buses out and make sure everyone gets where they are going can be hectic. I like the system developed though where each bus is called in order and those kids are brought out (they sit in the hall or cafeteria so this can happen quickly). I only made one small mistake in thinking the last bus had come and I called the kids on out, but then the bus wasn't there when the others pulled away. OOPS, not really a big deal. They went back inside and a few minutes later the bus showed up.

My classes were good! Same old, same old with that.

I had physical therapy after school and GEE, he kept me busy today and I did a lot of new things that will work on getting the elbow back in top shape again. I had to "ride a bike" with my hands for 8 minutes, and that helped with the shoulder and the elbow (doing it backwards was hard still). He then did about 10 minutes of the ultrasound therapy, I like that! Then he rubbed some muscle cream on the entire elbow, and that felt good too. Then, he brought out a 5 pound weight and I had to do a few things with it in my hand. The last thing I had to do was use the stretchy strap and do several reps of a pulling and wrist flip thing, that felt god, but the elbow got weak fairly fast. At the end, my elbow/arm was wrapped in a huge ice pack and I sat there enjoying the peace and quiet or 15 minutes. Good day! I did ask if I would be able to stop wearing my arm strap/brace and he said no. I am only allowed to take it off to sleep. He said that I will be wearing it a good long while yet. That is ok...it has become a part of me now and I don't even realize I have it on most of the time. He said that he can still feel scar tissue and that there is still considerable swelling on the elbow. It is tough for me to see the area since it is in one of the areas that we cannot really assess ourselves. I am not having much pain at all, it is mostly soreness at times, and even that is not bad. I asked how long the swelling should last, and he said to expect it for a few months still.

:)

Well, this gal is off to a bath now that the girls are in bed...to soak the arm THEN I will get out and ice it for 45 minutes like prescribed. I get a break from my home PT ex. tonight.

No comments: