Day 3 has ended and we have about 177 to go (at least I believe that's how many!).
Abbi is doing wonderful and LOVES her class, and Libbi is enjoying her last few days at daycare (once she goes to kindergarten full-time next week).
Right around bedtime is posing the biggest challenge this week. Both girls have had some issues with not following directions and end up wrestling or something odd like that without stopping when I ask. So, the past 2 nights they have lost their bedtime snack, and wow they weren't happy. Libbi, my drama queen, has been sparing absolutely no tears and the waterworks turn on and she tries to tell me she cannot sleep without a snack.....now, really LOL. You would THINK they would have learned after last night.....apparently not. They have been warned that if this behavior continues, they will lose their birthday party. I am not playing games. It has been hard for Libbi to go to kindergarten one day then go back to daycare until next week when all the kindergarten will go full-time to school. She does not like seeing Abbi get to go ride the bus and Abbi getting to pack her lunch. Soon enough though, both will be at "the big school".
Now, for some bragging. I have seen roughly 17 of my 28 classes. When the kindergarten and second grade come, I have noticed myself imagining my own children in those classes. My Abbi is SO far ahead of most of these kids...some cannot even read basic things, or spell simple words, and some of the kindergartners cannot spell their own first name! Now, I can admit that my Libbi is not as advanced as Abbi was at the same age. Libbi cannot write all of the ABCs just in order without any prompting, nor can she pick out all of the letters if they are pre-printed. She does know her name though, her birthday and birth year (some of my 2nd grade music students did not know what year they were born!). Please, DO NOT even begin to think I am saying my children are better than these kids...it is just some observations I am making. I also think the first week is shell shock to so many kids and they forget some of the things they really do know and the recall function of their brain turns off because of all the new school stuff flowing into it. The school I am at is extremely good and has won MANY honors and accolades for test scores and just the way they do things and accomplishments. Maybe Abbi really is gifted and will be ready for the gifted program when she is able to join it next year. I cannot imagine Libbi in that program at all. So strange how different kids are, not just mine but the ones I see each day.
So, my school is a large mixing pot of ethnic backgrounds. I do not remember it being this way before, but it may have been. They are very good kids and it is a decent area they draw from financially (not rich, but not poor) and parents seem very interested in their child's education. Upon getting lists of students from the teachers of the classes I serve, I am not far off when I say that half the names are "weird". Now, my last name is weird too, so I am not discriminating!
Each day, as more students meet me in my classes, they are becoming so precious! The hugs, I get at least 30 a day! The kids wave at me and yell my name as they go to the bus. It is so sweet and just plain feels good to know they are filled with genuine respect and love for the world they live in, untouched yet by the things that make children become teens and not so sweet or untouched by the bad in the world! The teachers are also very nice! I have missed being able to be cheesy and have the kids laugh at me (instead of rolling their eyes and thinking I have lost my marbles like some of the hs kids), so I am loving this! I also learned how to do something REALLY neat today! My work laptop has iTunes and until recently, the music class textbook CDs that I use for each grade could NOT be copied (either to computer or a regular copy). Well, apparently now it all works! SO, I can now import the songs I need for my classes onto my laptop and avoid having to flip through many CDs. I was very excited upon learning this new tidbit of info and then trying it and learning I DID IT!
So, the gifts for the girls for their big birthdays! Libbi is getting an mp3 player. She keeps using Abbi's and naturally the sharing has gotten tense at times (Abbi got an ipod for Christmas). Libbi is ready for one and wants one, so that is what she will get. We have a few days to figure something out for Abbi. Some of the things she wanted are just too expensive (American Girl doll, nintendo DS), so we have to search her brain a little more and get some ideas.
Dave's regalia for the Knights came today (the feathers, the hat, the cape, the sword etc)...they wear this for ceremonies and such with their tuxedos and since Dave is an officer in the highest degree, he had to get everything. Of course he hid it all away so the girls would not mess with it (little girls LOVE feathers and I would hate for them to each be plucked out of their homes and end up all over the house).
Libbi apparently found the extras of baby shower invites I had sitting by my laptop and she put each blank card in the envelope and licked the flap on 6 cards I had not yet used. I was up at church playing a service, looks like Dave wasn't watching her and she brought her sneaky self in the living room and became a little assistant. SIGH, glad I have extra invites!
The yawns have started so off I go to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment