Friday, August 22, 2008

Another week down

We all survived yet another week of school and are none the worse for wear. All us girls are settling into a nice routine! Abbi is absolutely loving her teacher and has perfect behavior marks so far and very good grads. Libbi is settling into her teacher as well and the routine. It takes awhile for kindergartners to settle into that routine, as I am learning even at my own school in observing them and teaching them. She has had to move her color card (conduct) down a few days, but not to the very bottom. She is having a few issues following directions the first time given, but that is something we have been working on at home too. Her teacher is an interim teacher because her regular teacher had a baby, so in about 4 weeks Libbi will be thrown for another loop when her regular teacher returns. From what I hear though, I am happy.

I know Libbi is trying hard, I really do. I appreciate that her teacher is being patient, yet firm. Libbi has come home exhausted, but the meltdowns in the evening are fading away. A Libbi funny for tonight....we were all working on folding about 2 weeks worth of laundry. I had told Dave that if I got lost behind a huge mound of folded clothes to not worry, I'd emerge, but if he didn't see me before 11 pm to send a search party. The girls were HUGE helps though and folded furiously and neatly too. So, the funny......Abbi was upstairs putting her clothes away, and Libbi asked for a piece of bread. I said yes....and I went on about my business of folding while she sat at the kitchen table. About 10-15 minutes passed by and I thought Libbi was upstairs in bed already...she has been so tired this week she has been putting herself to bed. I called up to ask her to turn her ceiling fan on, and went to do something. However, when I went to check, I looked up the steps and the fan was still off. Abbi came out of her room and I asked her to turn the fan on, I figured Libbi was asleep. She said Libbi wasn't in the room, so I went on a Libbi search. Did not need to go far. As I looked at the kitchen table, the girl had fallen asleep without taking a single bite of her bread, head on the table. I called Dave to come in and we took a few pictures then he picked her up to take her on to bed. The girl I don't think opened her eyes.

Poor thing, she is just worn out LOL. So, I am treating Abbi to something special, staying up late with me. Dave fixed a snowcone and she got some too. I am even (GASP) letting her eat it here on the couch, which is a big no-no in our house. Food is consumed only at the table here.

Anyways, I received my first paycheck today. I think I earned it ALL in one day, if you have never experienced bus duty in a downpour for 30 minutes, then you have no idea what work is about. It was so yucky, and about 400 kids needed to get off and make it inside. It was a better morning for a duck, not for us people folks. Did I mention it was jean Friday for the teachers? OK, let me paint the picture I ended up to be by 9:10 am. Rain everywhere and in puddles and coming down and at times going at an angle due to a breeze. I have a nice, big umbrella. So, I try to hold that big umbrella while also holding the radio I have to communicate with the school secretary and the other bus duty principal. Did you know that little kids think it is right to STOP when getting off the bus on the bottom step to open their umbrella and that most of them had one and tried to do the same? I nipped that quickly and things moved along. However, when those kids come off the bus they land in that puddle on the curb. These kids are sweet kids and sure did not intend to do that. Now, I also mention that there was one bus that had a child throw up on it and the driver had to move the bus a bit to allow the others to pass by as she cleaned. No big deal, until I went to talk to her to move the bus up and I had no way to get to her except through a huge puddle.

ICK. My jeans were soaked from the knee down, and my tennis shoes and socks also soaked. And it has been sticky hot here, so I was feeling mighty gross. I could handle the jeans wet, and even the wet shoes, but wet socks that stayed wet until I got home and ripped those still wet suckers off my now pruny feet. HAPPY DAY! It was like a homecoming when my feet met my flip flops. Oh yeah, on dismissal this afternoon it was sunny and 93 degrees, so humid and gross. The sun was beating down type hot and I did the best I could to find shade in the bus shadows.

My days are so completely different now. I am happier. Do you know how nice it is to spend my days with children so eager to learn and most eager to behave? (I have a few that I'd like to conk their head, but a few is not bad). I find that I just love being around these little ones, I enjoy their love for us adults, I enjoy their spirits and I am acting silly and goofy in class during the lessons I teach so the kids will have fun and learn about music in any way possible I can teach using FUN??? The cheesier I act, the more the kids love it and it also makes them excited to participate in the lessons. That kid who sits with a scowl and hates to sing I am able to get to join in the fun and LIKE it. I won't talk about those 5-10 kids out of 500 that I have who are a problem. I have already sent notes home to those parents and won't hesitate to be my tough self.

I digress and ramble.

I am hosting a baby shower for a friend tomorrow. I have been straightening and all to get ready. Dave will pick up the cake I ordered tomorrow at noon and go buy a gift, etc. I'll stay here and decorate and vacuum and dust. There will be about 10 church ladies here and we will have a great time just talking and eating and letting Jennifer open her gifts.

Tomorrow night, I will work a spaghetti dinner at church. Sunday I have to play at the other big church. It is a fairly busy weekend, but a NICE one!

Well, off I go to see what Dave is up to and get me a well deserved bath.

No comments: