We got the girls settled at their first day of school, and that went very smoothly! Both girls have very nice teachers and they are set to go! When I picked them up from daycare, they were so excited sharing their day's activities. Both had perfect reports from their teachers on great days!
My first day went well too. I saw 7 of my 8 classes (kindergarten was not there today). I don't like bus duty, but it is not difficult. I am sweaty and gross before I even start teaching, but at least I wore my tennis shoes and changed into my work shoes afterwards. There are about 10 or 11 buses, so it is manageable. I am out there for about 30 minutes each morning, then I will be there after school as well. Today, we had a bus get lost and it was an HOUR late. So instead of leaving around 4:15, I did not get to leave until 5:15. I have been rushing ever since! I was not home after getting the girls until 6 pm, so my day was about an hour behind schedule. Laundry, dishwasher, etc has needed attention this evening too. I am a bit weary, but not exhausted.
However, I really like my kids so far and have between 16-22 in the classes, a NICE number! My classroom is VERY cold, but I've asked for that to be fixed. My work laptop was delivered to me today too...WHOO HOO!!! Tomorrow I should get my work email address.
OK, so getting home turned out to be not so great for Libbi. The girl was so excited for school, she woke up at 5:15 am and just could not get back to sleep. She did well during the day at school, but once home it became clear it was going to be a tough time. I asked the girls to help empty the dishwasher as I folded clothes.....something they do together all the time. Well, Libbi got angry because she wanted to do what Abbi was doing, and it went downhill VERY quickly. Libbi was put in time out, where she proceeded to wail and cry, and I ignored her. After 20 minutes of no calming down, I asked her to go up to her room. She cried for a bit there, BUT she fell asleep. My better judgement said wake the girl up immediately, but I also knew she was exhausted beyond that ok point and that dinner was still 30 minutes until being done. So, she slept. Waking her up for dinner was not a good idea, but I knew she'd had lunch at 11 am and only a small snack since then. She needed dinner to keep her from waking us all at midnight due to hunger. She sat at the kitchen table and cried and cried and was falling asleep as she cried, it was not fun to sit through. I made her sit there and tried every trick I could think of to get her to eat. Finally, once the rest of us were done, I got her on my lap and somehow coaxed her to eat and settle down. She was pretty hungry, but of course all the crying made her not want to eat much, so I had her eat half of what I'd given her plus a piece of bread she asked for. WHEW...the girl has something in her tummy.
I pretty much knew tonight would be rough for her....so many new things today. She loved school, but like I have said when she gets tired watch out!
And so, here it is almost 9 pm. Wow the day has flown by! The girls were in bed at 8:30 and now it is just us and the QUIET! I have vowed to be in bed no later than 11:30 each evening, and tonight will probably be sooner.
Day one down, a bunch to go. Oh yeah,, did I mention that I DID NOT CRY when leaving my girls in their classrooms this morning? Well, I didn't. Libbi was very clingy to me and I had to leave or risk being late to work. So, her teacher distracted her by showing her where to put her lunchbox while I said goodbye and walked out the door. Dave stayed until she was in her seat. Abbi was simple, in her room and we were out the door after meeting her teacher and getting a picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment