Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Started physical therapy today

I had a 45 minute physical therapy session today, and it was interesting. My arm was poked and prodded and twisted and bent in every which way possible, and probably in some ways it isn't quite possible too. I am so grateful I didn't start this right after that shot or even last week as it would have HURT quite badly. My wrist and elbow and shoulder joints were checked and pulled on, by watching you would think it would hurt, but with an expert who knows what they are doing, it wasn't so bad. Measurements were taken on my range of motion.

After writing things down and looking at my chart from the orthopedic doc from 2 weeks ago, he then began to show me some things. I have this elastic band that I have to use to strengthen the tendon and muscles. They aren't hard, but I have to do a bunch of reps on a few of them. There are 5 different exercises I have to do and some really actually felt good today! Others were tough because the areas are weaker. He also said that he felt a lot of scar tissue in the elbow, which indicates several small tears or maybe even one big one. Only an MRI would tell for sure, but he knows what scarring feels like. So, after showing me what to do he gave me an ultrasound therapy....which is basically just rubbing the ultrasound on the area where there is internal scarring for about 15 minutes. It actually felt nice and was warm too, and the pretty blue, sticky gel. I am glad there was a pretty courtyard to look at or I may have fallen asleep. He told me to ice the arm each night for a good long while as well.

After that, I was sent on my way and told to schedule 2 sessions per week for the next month. WOW, I wasn't expecting that. Apparently I have some pretty serious scar tissue happening.

Abbi is sitting next to me doing homework (spelling words and math and reading). Libbi is trying not to bother her, it must stink being the little sister and not able to harass your older sister lol. Bed time is very soon.

School is going well for me! I am finally getting into the actual music lessons since all the intro lessons are done. It is nice! I forgot how much fun it was to sing and dance and be able to be creative on the spot. The students love it! I have only encountered one class (a kindergarten class) that may be a challenge, the others are just awesome! There are a few kids who are going to be problems, but I know I will have the backing of the other teachers and the administration when I discipline. Dave said he can notice I am far calmer than I used to be and I do not come home exhausted anymore. I am tired tonight though. I love the Olympics, but I've been staying up late to watch gymnastics lately...SO GLAD tonight is the last night. Tonight I will work on printing some things off for work while the arm is being iced. I hope the gymnastics is not on too late.

We are about to have a few rainy days here. Then, the tropical storm (Fay) may bring some more rain by the weekend.

:)

No comments: