Wednesday, June 11, 2008

another nice day

I may just be getting the hang of this stay at home mom stuff! Mind you this is just for the summer!

The girls have figured out how to make themselves cereal in the morning and they let me sleep a bit longer. I am not a morning person, never really have been. Dave leaves for work around 7:15 am and I usually wake up, then just doze for another hour or two. Trust me, I am a much better person because of that. The girls typically play really well together that time of day and like the freedom. They often will put on PBS and watch those show (they so far only watch that channel and Disney channel).

Around 9 am, I got a text message from the choir teacher at school, she is singing in a West Side Story production here in Memphis and was going to be on a local tv station singing, so I woke up and watched. She did a great job! I then got up for the day. We read books and straightened up a little before lunch. Right after lunch, one of the neighbor kids came by and asked the girls to go swimming (they have a 3.5 foot deep pool and all our kids can touch the bottom), but we had to wait an hour because they had just put chemicals in. Not a problem, that gave us time to paint toes and fingernails, sweep, vacuum and just get things clean.

Cleaning seems like an around the clock event here! Being here at home and even making a great effort to keep up with the cleaning is not easy. It is amazing how often I have to sweep or vacuum, I just do not get it. And the number of dishes now that almost every meal is here at home....WOW! I run the dishwasher every other day or more and have resorted to hand washing dishes as well. I am not complaining, I am finding I LIKE doing the dishes. Did I just say that? I am peering around watching for the lightning bolts my mother is sure to send down from heaven lol.

So, the time came for the girls to go swim, which they did for about an hour. They loved it. I sat with my neighbor as we watched the kids and it was just real nice. Not too hot, plus they have shade YAY! Once we came back home, both girls ended up in time-out. WHOAH Libbi had a meltdown and kept getting time added. I made her sit on the floor and when it got to an hour left of built up time, I got a bright idea that if I got her a pillow, she would very soon fall asleep. She did rather quickly. That gave me the chance to start dinner, and Abbi came out of hiding to help me. I made banana pancakes and sausage/egg biscuits. I taught her how to flip pancakes, she sat on the counter and was such a helper. Libbi then woke up after an hour and by then Dave was home doing the eggs. I didn't want to leave Libbi out, so she helped Dave flip the eggs. I want to use this time home to teach them to cook...I remember helping my mom and grandmother and they both taught me to love cooking. Being home has afforded me the time to cook again. Tomorrow, I am making meat loaf....yum. The girls ought to have a good time learning about that hehe.

I had orchestra tonight, it was very nice to get out and away for a bit.

Well, it is after midnight and I am going to bed, just to start this routine all over in a few short hours. Could tomorrow be the day that I teach Abbi to peel potatoes? Jennie's dreaded task while growing up.

OK...night, hugs and we'll see what interesting stories tomorrow brings.

No comments: