Saturday, April 26, 2008

What more satisfaction or validation of your mark in your career than this?

I received an email today from a parent of one of my high school students, and it reminded me in a rough time exactly why I do what I do. I have copied and pasted the email (but removed the parent's name for privacy). This is a keeper of an email and will go into my teaching portfolio. Honestly, this is one of those things that came just at the right moment in my life, when I needed a bit of a pat on the back or even a gentle reminder that I have made a difference. I cannot possibly touch each and every life I come across, and there are some that may say I had the complete opposite on them or their children, but I tend to like to believe that they just refused to jump on board and allow themselves to take or even try the opportunities I placed in front of them.

THIS email was my validation. I have watched this kid grow in two years and I have the same pride this mother has....ALL of these students become my kids. I may not have birthed them, but I spend more hours with them than their own parents do. I do the very best I can do to teach them more than music...sometimes life lessons (both the good ones and the bad ones) are far more important than the actual music.

My heart feels good, God is indeed smiling down on me and will carry me through this time of tribulations and trials until things are situated for where I will be next year. I cannot give up my hope or focus, there are many more "Matt's" in the world who need me.

I do indeed hope there is a teacher that will make a difference in my own children's lives, someone I can share this kind of note with one day and warm their hearts back a thousand times over. We all need a bit of praise and thanksgiving, because sometimes there are people or things working to push in the opposite direction and make us feel that we are not fit to do the job at hand, even when we know we are.

Mrs. Z,
I know the school year is winding down and will be over before we know it. I am unable to go to the band banquet this year so I wanted to take this time to thank you for the last two years of band for Matt. I wasn't sure if I would get a chance to speak with you before you left so I wanted to thank you for the sense of confidence you have given Matt. He was unsure of himself entering high school and I was scared to death, but you made him really feel like he belonged to something really special and important. You, also helped me in letting him step out on his own as a teenager and become more responsible. Unfortunately the times we live in make very protective mothers..lol..and I fight that daily. I would probably be very happy if he never left home, learn to drive...etc..lol. But band trips, camps, practices, etc. kind of helped me cut the strings a little bit He has really developed some social skills, teamwork skills, and a determination to work hard to succeed that only you can take credit for that will benefit him forever in any situation the rest of his life. I hate that I was not able to help out more due to my job and health issues but I wish you well in whatever opportunity that has presented itself to you. I pray for you that your girls have an opportunity to learn from a teacher as much as all of our children have learned from you. We all appreciate you more than you probably will ever know. Good Luck!

Sincerely,

No comments: