OK, who stole our Spring and replaced it with winter??? It only got to 50 degrees today but was quite windy and so it felt a lot colder. This evening, it is supposed to get down to or just below freezing. I have covered all of my crape myrtles and blooming azaleas and rose bushes in case we get frost (I bet we do). My fingers are frozen right now from doing that and my hands have scratches all over them from the thorns on the rose bushes.
I'd like to pray to the weather God to please spare my trees and plants, and let the bags I covered them with be enough to "save" them.
Thankfully, we saw this cold snap coming and didn't yet plant the flowers we bought Friday evening. Those are on the freezer in the garage and even if it is really cold outside, the garage is never below 42 or so degrees, they will be safe.
So, some excitement at work this afternoon. A REAL emergency! Yep, right before 6th period, a strong smell of gas started filling the entire school (even down to my room, which is as far away from about everything else that you can get). They came on and told us to grab our grade books and our classes and get out ASAP and go to our fire drill spots. We did just that and we ended up outside for 40 minutes. I have to say I was so much more than impressed with ALL of the fine arts students. They shared jackets with those who had only tshirts on and stood in clumps keeping each other warm. They behaved superbly and there was very little complaining about how cold it was. I think it helped that they knew this wasn't a drill and it was the real thing and they took it all very serious. Once we got back inside, it still smelled a little bit, but not like before. The gas company had tested the levels and after they let the building air out and had fans going, it was a safe level. They turned the gas valve off and let the kids finish the day. Everyone had to leave by 2:45 so they could come back and find/repair the leak. That meant my Jazz Band practice was cancelled, which I was actually thankful for. I am secretly hoping school will be cancelled for tomorrow, except we'd have to make it up.
I slept about 4 hours last night, I just could not fall asleep. Maybe it was the long nap yesterday, or maybe it is that work stresses me so much these days. Not the kids or my teaching, but everything else. I have to leave soon to get the girls and take Abbi to ballet, then drop them home and go to a dinner meeting with the band parents this evening. Whatever it is, I hope I sleep ok tonight.
:) BRRR, it is cold and the wind makes it chill to the bone. Considering it is going to get 20 degrees colder in the next several hours, I probably shouldn't complain. But, it's so strange that week or so ago the girls were running through the sprinkler. FUN! Well, I need to go get them.
Later!
No comments:
Post a Comment