Today I was given clearance to announce to my students that I would not be returning next year. I've known for several months now, but for many reasons wasn't allowed to let anyone else know. That changed today. It was both a scarey and a bit of a relief too! I basically was coached on what to say, and began by emailing the parents and I decided to read that very email to my students during class. Naturally, I went on further and discussed things in class to them. There were tears, from me and from the kids, but I let them know that I have every confidence that someone with a lot more experience than me will be hired and that they WILL be successful and life will go on.
It really meant a great deal to me to be able to tell the kids myself because I had been told that I wasn't going to be able to and they'd be told in the summer. Now I can truly begin helping them for the transition. I have always wanted them to be a great group, I am just not the one with enough to get them there.
Many of the parents have emailed me expressing their thanks and praise. It means so much to me in what is a difficult time. A few of those emails I will be printing off and putting in my teaching portfolio that I use for interviews as they are that good!
This was a tough day. It's been a very tough year for so many reasons. Some of the reasons are not in my control and have left me very resentful, but others have created a peace about me that people do indeed see! I am sure there are parents/kids rejoicing, but I know most of them are shocked and sad but will endure to become even better.
SO...now the question of the day...NOW WHAT?!?!
Apparently, my supervisor has a position for me. The intention was all along to move me into a middle school position or a smaller hs, not leave me without a job. I understand there is a middle school job that I may very well be offered. I know my supervisor is planning to place me in the new middle school opening in 2009, so this is probably just temporary. HOWEVER, I am also applying for a new middle school opening this coming fall close to my house, though in the county system (I work in the city system). My supervisor fully supports this and will recommend me. Right now I need to set up a time to talk to him about things and see what the plan is. My supervisor is a great man who knows I am a great teacher.
So, that's where things stand. I have a horrible headache from lots of crying, but it's ok.
We got 3.5 inches of rain last night and today. I bet in the last week we've gotten well over 8 inches! The little river (Loosahatchie) not far from us is way out of its banks and the farmland across from our Kroger store is all underneath the river now.
My crape myrtles are starting to sprout leaves!! I love these trees with a passion! When we first came down here to find a place to live when I was 8 months pregnant, I fell in love with these beautiful trees that bloom such pretty colors all summer and early fall. I mean, other than a lilac or rose of sharon tree, us northerners aren't accustomed to seeing trees that flower like that! Anyways, I knew once we lived here, I HAD to have some of those trees. I have 7 of them now....red, lilac, purple and a dark pink. My roses are going crazy too! Also, I have a clematis growing around my mailbox, it's a pretty viney type plant that has really pretty purple flowers that bloom all spring, summer, fall. My mother had a lovely one when we were growing up and the neighbors would all come and cut off sprigs of it to start their own for their mailbox! I bought mine as a little teeny sprout last year and it did grow and produce maybe 4-5 flowers. Upon inspection this year, the thing is already 3 times as big as last year and two nights ago I counted 13 blooms for flowers!!!!! That is going to be so pretty once they all open up!
While all the flowers and trees are coming back to life, it is killer on the contacts! I have only worn these for a week and they are full of gunk! I'll take them out tonight to clean them (I usually wear them for 30 days, as instructed) and let my eyes breathe.
Abbi had a good week at school this week! She got her report card, all A's and all E's and Gs in conduct, so that is an improvement! This week she has done well with her conduct (the kid likes to talk alot) and kept her E up all week...WAY TO GO ABBI! I spent some time this evening helping Libbi try to focus on writing letters, but she is still not terribly interested in memorizing them. All the rain has made them feel so cooped up, but tonight they are begin especially good! They are writing books for me. Abbi gave me one about the spring break we spent together...not seen Libbi's yet but she draws the cutest "people".
Dave will be gone all day tomorrow at a Knight's event. Thankfully he won;t leave until 8:30 am, so I will get to sleep in. The poor weather the past few nights has again given me sleep deprivation. Throw on top of that the stress I'd been going through for work and this girl is tired. I bet I sleep good tonight (I'm relieved AND it is not going to storm).
So, there ya have it. Not my normal type post, but that's ok. I am headed to soak in a hot tub then to sleep.
No comments:
Post a Comment