Saturday, April 5, 2008

MEMPHIS TIGERS IN THE NCAA FINAL FOUR

Well, I picked a good year to start watching basketball again...the local team here won the semi-final game this evening and are playing for the NCAA championships Monday..YAHOO! The University of Memphis is the very first team in history to EVER win 38 games (they have but one loss the entire season).

I stopped watching college basketball games because the day I said goodbye to my mother, she was watching a Kentucky game. She became hooked on it when I attended Kentucky and spent two years on the traveling tournament pep band. I even went to a Final Four, but we lost to Michigan in 1993. So many wonderful memories from those years. Mom and Dad watched the games and would see me and know their daughter who flew the coop to college was doing just fine. Anyways, because I associated basketball games with my mother in the hardest moment of my life, I just couldn't bring myself to watch games after that. I'd try, but then it upset me too much and brought all the emotions back. So, for four years I didn't watch games. But this year I started again, and it's been fine! I sat and watched the ENTIRE game, though we did eat dinner in the middle lol, the tv was still on. Pretty good game! I think I've found a new team to root for....they are blue like Kentucky, they are local and seem to be good kids, and besides, so many of my students attend the college, so why not?

A work funny, yesterday, after I broke the news to the kids and we shared tears, we all cheered up and I asked them to warm-up on their own. One kid started playing the Memphis fight song and then several others chimed in and it was rather sweet! They were allowed to break usual school uniform and wear jeans and Memphis sweatshirts lol. Oh was it ever so nice to see the school in bright blue!!!

So, I escaped after the game to Kroger. I took Abbi with me and wow was she ever a great helper! The more she is able to read, she has become my list checker offer. She was such a help! Elizabeth and Daddy stayed home and she got her a nice bath without any interruptions from her sister. Abbi is now in there.

Another nice day. How blessed a woman I am. The sun even came out and the girls got to go outside for a bit and run around. Tomorrow promises to be beautiful!

No comments: