Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Powerless

Yes, we were without power last night for about 8 hours. It went off soon after 4 pm, but came back on by about 5:30 pm. We then cooked dinner and thought things were good to go for the evening. But as we were finishing up eating dinner, it went off again about 6:15 pm and stayed off until around midnight.

This was caused by a nasty wind storm that made its way across here, knocking down trees and power-lines. The temps dropped about 30 degrees in just a few hours.

SO, we lit candles and after we finished dinner I got the girls in the bath tub with me. Dave had found his little hand held tv and he got me settled with Wheel of Fortune and Biggest Loser. We spent lots of time in the tub, lots of candles and it was nice. Afterwards, we got out and got the girls' blankets and pillows and such to have them sleep on the living room floor/couch. They were so tired they both fell right asleep. It started getting quite cold in the house and I found lots of blankets to pile on the girls. Soon after 10 pm, Dave and I headed to bed ourselves. We set our cell phones as alarms since we had no idea when the power would come back on. By this time, the temperature in the house was just 58 degrees. Since we have gas water heater,I knew we'd be ok for getting ready for work this morning, or at least smelling good. But, I was worried about my hair and how bad it would look without being to blow dry it and "fix" it. Around midnight or so, I woke up to find the lights on. What a relief! I tried to turn everything off when we went to bed, but obviously some of the two way switches were actually on and I got up to turn them off and then set my alarm clock. I could only dream that the school had no power and we'd have a day off. No such luck.

So, that was our fun evening. It was actually very nice. It was very quiet, without the heat and washer and just general house things making noise. No computer, now THAT was strange but nice. The entire neighborhood was so dark it was eerie. I am glad we had so many candles in order to keep it light enough that the girls were not too afraid. Until about 8 pm the wind was so awful, making all sorts of noises and such. I wasn't sure what I'd find going outside in the morning. Luckily, all looks fine in our neck of the woods. There were tree limbs down in places, twigs all over the roads, some fences down and some signs and such down, but nothing too bad. I wanted some weather excitement, guess we got it.

So, now we are under a winter weather advisory for late tonight/early tomorrow. Possible snow/sleet/freezing rain. Oh JOY! I have to drive downtown at about 7 am tomorrow to be there for 3 days for All West. PLEASE....now I do not want that stuff to come. I barely drive on the highways as it is, let alone in lots of traffic and in slippery conditions!

OK, off to finish dinner (in honor of Ohio and our roots....THREE WAYS!) then Orchestra practice at church.

No comments: