It looks like this has become my nightly place to come to unwind before heading to bed. And what a crazy week! Crazy in a good way, crazy because of the fact that I slept pretty bad each night this week, crazy because it's been so cold, crazy because life is good, though busy :)
It is a good thing that I type quite fast, well, maybe good for me. Might be bad for you because you have to read a lot of words.
I am SO GLAD it is a long weekend. Things are not too hectic this weekend. My church librarian and a fellow Knight with Dave died this past week. Sid sang in the choir with me and was just such a great man! Married to his wife for 60 years (she sings with the choir too) and five children. My last conversation with Sid was Midnight Mass when he complimented me on playing flute for other Masses and then for that night for saying how cool the hand bells were. He had been dealing with prostrate cancer for a few years and recently developed pneumonia. As Dave said, Sid really did lead a great, long life and has left a legacy and so many wonderful memories behind. Dave was an honor guard (4th Degree Knight's) tonight at his visitation (I believe that means he stayed with Sid's wife Jean and near Sid's body). I stayed with the girls. Tomorrow, he will go to the funeral and participate in that as well. This is one time he wasn't so eager to pull on his tuxedo but he is honored to do it for a man that lived his life as an example. I will again stay home with the girls. So many times, Dave just allows me to do the things I need to for work or church that he has had to say no to things he really wanted to do. I felt completely obligated and happy to be able to allow him to do this. It is rare he even really asks me to accommodate him, so naturally it was no problem.
One of my student's lost her father early this past week. I did not know her father, she did not live with him and if he came to band things, I don't recall ever meeting or being introduced to him. I do not know any of the details of his death, but I am sure she is having a tough time of it.
Onto happier things, my band has been doing an amazing job this week! I am really surprised at how much they have accomplished in the contest music this past week. I feel that my teaching has really changed recently....like I began to really pour my heart and everything into it. I WANT to get a superior at concert festival this year, for me and for my students. I think they want it to. I feel like I have finally reached a comfort zone.
The "new church" orchestra had their banquet last night. They "kidnapped" us and put us on buses and took us to a surprise location. GRACELAND..we went to the Heartbreak Hotel restaurant where 85 of us really had a great time. My supervisor is in the orchestra, and he asked me to sit with him for the evening since I do not know many people. We chatted "shop talk" about work and some upcoming things and I learned some potentially exciting news.
My supervisor has put in a request for an assistant band director to be placed at my school, he said I should be relieved and excited about this. I am, BUT I did not share with him that I am also scared. If it transpires, and someone else is hired, do I stand a chance of being bumped to the assistant job???? I am trying to just not even think about that, not that it would be a necessarily bad thing (other than it is "my territory" and would be tough to give some control over it up). The here and now is what is the most important, so my focus is on preparing my students for concert festival. I have come up with one great idea for a marching show for the fall, and a few others I like.
I plan on staying home all day tomorrow with the girls and then Sunday I play with the orchestra at 2 morning services then at the evening service we will be doing an orchestra concert. I found out just how large the church is last night when I walked from one side to the other. I am not kidding that it is easily probably a mile if you walk all around the outer hallway of the building. Then, Monday the girls will both be going to daycare (it is actually OPEN) so I can catch up on rest. I have not been sleeping well. But I certainly use weekends like this to catch up! Not having to wake up at 5:45 am is so nice! I also need to get things ready for the children's clothing sale at church.
It is COLD here. The high today was about 37, and the low tonight will be around 20 and the high tomorrow around 35 degrees...BRRRRR. We may get some flurries tonight. I long for one good snow here. This cold weather is really hurting my "diet". I need to buckle down a lot more. I was doing well this week but then yesterday it got cold and today colder and well...I am disappointed in myself and need to get back on track.
Well, that's about all from here. My warm bed with all its blankets is calling my name. Such a great thing that I do not have to set my alarm! I will be so glad to be with my girls tomorrow then Dave too when he is done with the funeral.
HUGS to all and thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment