Saturday, February 28, 2009

Um, the forecaster was WAYYYYY off


I left my house at 2:35 pm to sleet hitting the windows. As I got closer to church, it had all turned to snow and was coming down fast. It has been snowing ever since then without stopping. I was up at church for the 4th degree that Dave was in charge of and the girls kept running outside to see the snow. I met Kelley up there so we could finish setting up and didn't sit down until dinner at 7 pm. I will update about that later, more importantly THE SNOW!


We have about 9 inches out here now and still have some heavy bands coming through. Should be that way for a few hours. They are calling for the north part of our county to get the most snow, and that just happens to be where we live! Maybe up to 13 inches.


We had both driven to church and naturally snow is so rare here that I was afraid to drive. BUT, I gave it a shot and Dave followed behind me. It was fine. Well, instead of 70 mph I was not going over 35. Once I turned off the main highway onto the smaller highway to get to our exit, the road was nowhere in sight. The exit ramp and roads to our house were even worse. It took a whole lot longer to get home, but we made it safe. The garage is going to be a mess with all the snow that will drip and melt off the cars.


Libbi was sleepy as anything, but Abbi wanted to go outside and play. So, at 11:30 pm that's where she was. We didn't last long, it is cold lol!


Now, the forecasters were saying anywhere from 1-5 inches, with most seeming to agree on 2-3 inches. GEEEEEE were they off base! I guess this makes up for all those times we are teased with forecasts of even an inch of snow and never see a flake. I'd say we have plenty of flakes now!


The picture is of Abbi eating snow out on the driveway just 30 minutes ago! I was out in it for a few minutes, but it was snowing so hard and the wind was blowing and I got cold. She made a few snow angels and just fell into the snow backwards to make them, so cute!
I thought last night I would finally get to sleep the whole night and get some sleep. I was wrong, but this time it is my fault. I got to reading a good book and before I knew it, it was 3 am! I slept until about 8:30 am. I have had tons of energy ALL DAY LONG, and here I sit at midnight still wide awake. I am opting though to go on to bed. I know I need the sleep. Dave has already said he does not want me driving to play with the orchestra tomorrow morning because of the snow, so I will not go. Everything at our church has been cancelled...but Bellevue has not yet cancelled and says so far that they will not. The snow will probably mostly melt tomorrow. I am hoping I have the gumption to get up early in the morning with the girls and go out and play with them.
It is so beautiful!
I will update on the 4th degree banquet tomorrow...but some teasers:
-my girls were ghosts
-men in penguin suits out in the snow
-grills fired up INSIDE the Knight's storage shelter building
-me sitting next to the top Knight in the state and honoree at the dinner
-dried flowers
-guest speaker cancelled due to weather (Senator Gresham)
-my husband, the host and speech giver!
-and MUCH MUCH MORE!
But for now, SNOW and lots of it. I have my snow fix now and spring can hurry up and get here to STAY! Never mind that the daffodils already bloomed and the trees that have white or teeny pink flowers are already in bloom, along with the other regular trees starting to bud.

No comments: