Monday, February 9, 2009

Abbi's surgery went well




Abbi's surgery went well and we are all back home resting comfortably.

I am going to give the blow by blow account, so hang on for an extended bit of time here.

We woke at 6:30 am. I needed to get Libbi in the shower and wash her hair, then I got Abbi in there too. Libbi liked the change in the morning routine! We got back from our meeting last night at 8:45pm so I really thought Libbi needed to get on to bed. Last night, I let Abbi stay up. She ate at 10 pm then took herself to bed.

Anyways, Dave walked Libbi down to the bus stop so she didn't have to go alone and I stayed here with Abbi. Once Dave got back we finished up getting ready and were out the door. Traffic wasn't really a problem so we were 15 minutes early to the surgery center. Good thing, the little girl scheduled to go in front of Abbi went to the wrong place and was running late.....so they just moved Abbi's time slot sooner and took her first. After signing all the papers, she had to change into one of those lovely hospital gowns and booties. The nurse (and older gentleman who was so sweet) even told Abbi to put a baby robe and booties on her stuffed dog she took too. I thought that was cute and we giggled about it. Once changed we went to the waiting area. They took her vitals, and then the anesthesiologist came to talk to us. We took a picture of her with her puppy all dressed and ready for surgery. I was instantly relieved when I found out her IV would not be started until after they put her out with gas. OH HAPPY DAY! I almost shed some tears, they were so there ready to come out due to how happy I was. I had been worrying so much about her hurting when the iv was placed, so that worry was GONE.

After vitals it was time for her to go to a prep room, and we sat in there a few minutes while Abbi watched tv and then the doc. came in and talked to us about what he was going to do. I took the picture above of her sitting on the bed all smiles. Then a nurse came and got us and took us to the OR entrance. She was able to pick out a toy from the bunny tunnel (she picked out an airplane...not sure why but hey, her choice). Then it was time to say goodbye and get hugs at 9:15 am. I always hate that time, but I did not cry. They took us back to a waiting room and we were there for about 45 minutes. The surgery itself went pretty well. The tubes are out, and he says the left eardrum looks great! The right one left a larger hole than anticipated and had a layer of scar tissue that he wasn't too pleased with. BUT, only time will tell how the fat grafts will work to close. Apparently it can take 2-4 months for them to heal. He only put an incision behind one ear, and 3 stitches.

Soon after 10 am, the doctor came our to talk to us and then by 10:25 we were able to go back to see Abbi. She was awake and alert and not at all distressed. She came out of things very calmly and quietly...YAY! That always makes it easier on the parents. She still had big red marks where her eyes were taped shut and we helped her drink sprite and eat a Popsicle. Her iv was still in at this point. Around 11:15 they took it out and we changed her back into her own clothes and I took her to the restroom. She got a little dizzy and extremely pale, but no barfing. It just made her dizzy to walk that far and once back to the bed she almost was sick, but wasn't! She asked to ride in the wheelchair out to the car and the nurse was happy to oblige her request.

We got her settled in the car and she drifted in and out of sleep, but managed to ask for some soup from Panera bread. Of course we could do this! They have awesome chicken noodle soup that cures any bad feelings. Dave went in to get it while I stayed in the van with her as she slept. Once we got home at noon, she ate some and set up camp on the recliner. Right now she is playing with her Horseland. She is doing well. She is not under any real limitations but the hospital did give us a note for her for school and also one excusing her from PE for 2 weeks. Anything involving balls or things where she could get it in the head are off limits.
I was so very proud of her! She was not nervous, did not cry at all, and just amazed me with how it was like something she does every day. The nurses were happy to have such an easy child patient who woke up so happy! What a blessing for all of us.

I am about to grab a nap. I am very tired. It was a tough morning emotionally to have my baby "stolen" from me and under the knife. and I am nodding off while I type. I think a nap is in order for me. So, before many more typos and all, I am going to lay down.

No comments: