Wednesday, February 25, 2009

In some respects, a tough, tough morning

This morning led me to just one of those rare events that all educators fear and hope they never have to deal with. One of my students had a bruise on his face/head and it looked pretty painful. I asked him about it and his response was that his father hit him because he got a bad grade. I was of course shocked, and I asked if this had happened before, and the answer was yes. This student is usually fairly happy and not a problem student. He was very subdued and with every ounce of my being I knew he was asking for help. I really did not want to know any further right then. The last thing I told him was that he could come to me if it happens again. Above all, children who are in situations like this need to know someone is there for them.

This bruise is not made by falling, it was too odd to even really explain, but something other than a hand hit this child. Right after his class, I went to the school counselor, who is a wonderful lady. I gave her the information and she had actually just finished talking to him because his regular teacher inquired as well. It turns out, that he willingly showed the counselors his back as well and apparently it had several bruises on it as well that he said his father put there. I told her everything he had told me and then asked her what I needed to do. She said that the Dept. of Children Services had already been contacted. From what we know, his stepmother and father regularly hit him and his siblings and the bruises are typical, just not usually where others can see them.

I cannot tell you how terrible I felt for this child. To begin to imagine the fear he must have. He was so brave though in telling us and I swear for the short time I talked to him, this youngster was mature WELL beyond his years. He did not cry at all, but I could tell he was using everything he had to be brave because he knew he had to reach out.

I just cannot understand hurting a child so badly. I mean, I spank my girls and such, but never to the point of leaving bruises or such. I do not know what will happen with this case from here, I may never know how it turns out. Once it is turned over to the authorities, we often do not hear. BUT, I know the awesome counselors we have are going to work with this student and make sure he himself gets the help they are able to offer. As far as the rest, I can only pray it all works out for the best.

Not the best way to start a work day. Course it had begun at 4 am when both Dave and Abbi decided they could not sleep and woke me up. Abbi claimed she heard thunder and Dave just could not sleep. He was all noisy turning the tv on then it was loud and well, that shot the rest of my sleep for the day. I tell ya, the bags under my eyes couldn't be hidden by anything and I felt so tired. BUT, I made it and the rest of my day was nice.

I put the call out to the kids that I was able to take more students in the choir, since several had dropped. I now have about 15 new students. My total is at 57 kids and wow they sounded great today. I scheduled their concert for the beg. of May. I am really fond of this group! I am going to throw myself into them even more for next year and my goal is to have them perform at one of the district wide inservices (get an invite). I just love these kids and being in front of an ensemble conducting and watching them make beautiful music. We have a little fun too along the way!

I had orchestra tonight and we began reading through Passion Play music. WHOO HOO I love love love it. We will play through the rest on Sunday during a special practice. Some of my favorites from last year are back but LOTS of new things too. This time last year we were already performing it, I am glad it isn't until April this year!

Libbi has improved a LOT this week at school and is spending some time with the counselor each week. Her behavior has settled a bit and her work has improved a lot already according to her teacher. I know that we have to take it a step at a time.

Oh, and the pull-ups......she has had accidents the last two nights. She may not be quite ready after all. But at some point I do have to allow this kid some independence from the things she is growing to despise (the pullups). If it keeps up though, I am also going to teach her how to do laundry! Not sure how I can keep our clothes on track being clean with the number of sheets and blankets I am having to deal with. BUT, before I will complain a single ounce, I will recall how I was the one who signed up for this being a Mom thing. And I will be grateful I have a child that is loving and beautiful and healthy.

At the end of the day today another teacher and I were talking and sharing some fairly private things (girl stuff and my pulmonary embolism that changed the course of my girl stuff lol). She first asked me how old I as...we are the same age! I thought she was older than me. She was so glad to learn we were the same and launched into asking me things that went into us just having such a nice talk! Yes, I know, I am craving this adult friend time and well, it felt good. I am a lot younger than most of my friends and most of them are so busy with their own lives and friends that I feel a bit neglected lol (just as I am busy with my own life and neglect them). I still have not found that one friend here in TN that I can pour my heart out to, share my secrets with and just someone who gets it all at any time of the day. Will I find that person? Just when I do I feel I lose them for whatever reason. Being a wife and mother really takes a lot of your friend time away. When I taught band I never had that time so I did not miss it. I was never home with my girls or husband and I was too busy for friends. Now that I am finally a mom and a wife again, I need friend time. But I realize more and more every day just how blessed I am that God put me in the path of where I am now teaching the younger kids so I could be Mom to my kids and Wife to Dave again. I never realized how much I did not know about them since I was away so much. It has taken me so long to get readjusted to being with them again, dealing with even the everyday things with them and so forth. I AM in just the place I belong in my life right now and do not want to miss a single moment. Abbi has a music program to perform in at school next week and we are real excited about that.

I know...I'm rambling. That's how I know it is time for me to get some sleep. Or at least to go soak in that tub for a little bit.

The one thing I learned from my tough morning is to love my girls even more and never let them feel they are not good enough for me. They need ALL my love, my direction in making good choices, and someone to show them right from wrong and be an active part of their lives. Abbi and Libbi, I love you more than words can ever say and I am so glad I was shown that my place is with you more and that life is too short to not take advantage of the wonders God gave me in you.

Night....

No comments: