Abbi returned to school today. Things must have gone well. Dave said she told him the cafeteria was a little too loud for her, but she managed. I wasn't home to check her ear and such myself, but it seems everything is going well.
The clothing sale "results" have finally been uploaded and we are able to view our items that sold as well as the amount we earned. I sold almost $400 worth of things (167 items to be exact). This means I will be getting a check for just under $300 sometime late next week. WHOO HOO!
I had a clothing sale memory that I needed to share but forgot to. Saturday, when I met Dave up there and they were starting to tear down/clean up....there were a few police officers who were basically just helping make sure things went well during the sale, providing security. The one posted at the door stopped me as I was leaving to go pick Abbi up from girl scouts. He was a big, older black man. He asked me if I was married to the "nice looking man who was helping move tables". I said, yes. He said, "you have a treasure Ma'am. Your husband changed my life today" He tells me this while explaining my husband brought him to tears with his generosity and caring for others. Now, I thought for a second that this guy clearly had to have the wrong woman, got the caring man confused with someone else, etc. I mean, MY HUSBAND making a grown tough guy cry meaningful and genuine tears??? Come on. Well, he went further to explain to me that my husband took the time to speak with him, they quickly learned they both had been Marines and all Dave did was chat Marine talk and told the guy about a Marine website that he uses to hook up with former members of his unit, etc. He said the time and kind words my husband had with him went above and beyond what most people wish to even bother with in today's world. The man began crying as he spoke with me and I too began to tear up as I realized that this man had been profoundly changed by just a simple act of my husband caring for his fellow Marines. A brotherhood that is stronger than any I know. I did not know Dave while he was an active Marine, I wish I had.
Dave and I walked out to my car together as we had to switch cars, and I hugged him and began crying too. I had been reminded at just the perfect time the entire reason I married this man. He may cause me to be exasperated, he may make me angry in a million ways, but he has a heart of gold and it's the little thing he does that touches people profoundly. My husband, MY HERO! I am not the only one who touches lives each day by being a teacher to children, my husband silently touches far more than I will probably ever know. I try to remember that when he leaves his dirty socks on the floor or a sink full of dirty dishes. He knew this gentleman needed something that day, and he gave it to him. Not often you see a grown man weep and tell you your husband changed his life for the better.
GO DAVE!!!
The girls were both awake prior to 5 am this morning. We had very strong winds all night and rain on and off too. Storms were supposed to go through between 4 and 7 am, and when I heard them I thought perhaps thunder had awoken them. Nope....must have been the wind. They were playing, and because I knew it was probably going to storm, I did not make any big deal and let it be and went back to dozing myself. Well, the storms died down before getting to us and all we got was lots of gusty wind and rain. This same front gave Oklahoma tornadoes, so I am glad things settled down some for us! It has been a very windy 36 hours here.
My Dad's Irene is not doing so well. Without going into particulars, she is home on Hospice and has some bad days and then some ok days. They really are taking it day by day right now and she is surrounded by family. Dad is holding up well and glad for the support of her family being there. I pray God continues to watch over her and make her as comfortable and calm as possible, and to continue giving my father the strength to keep caring and loving her.
It was nice being back to work today. I started with my before school choir group and then had my regular classes. I am teaching Valentine's units, pretty easy and fun. The 3rd grade has their program performance next week, so we had all of them together today for the first time to practice....went pretty well! We'll get a few more times together before their big show. WOW are all the students getting whacky though, probably because of Valentine's Day coming and then a long weekend. I did find out some good news today that a classroom management workshop I had been on the waiting list for moved me to PARTICIPANT status, YAHOO! This workshop has been touted as a wonderful learning tool/resource. I am taking as many computer classes and other pertinent workshops that I can. They are FREE and count towards me renewing my teaching certificate. I have until I believe 2013 to renew it (taking a certain number of workshop hours or graduate courses). I think I have to have 90 hours of workshop credits or 9 graduate class hours. So, does one go for FREE courses and attend a bunch, or does one take 3 graduate classes or workshops that re EXPENSIVE??? I think I choose the free for now! It will take me some time to work through tabulating all my workshop hours from while I taught band, I have to check on what counts and what doesn't. I think me going to TMEA convention will surely count quite a bit, as well as some of the band director things I had to do. In a few weeks I should have this figured out and by summer I will know precisely how many more credits I need to work on. I can either gripe about it or do it and make the best of it.
I have rambled on enough for one night. Tomorrow we go up to the school to view the girls artwork on display.
No comments:
Post a Comment