Monday, February 25, 2008

DRESS REHEARSAL and great day at work!

Did someone drug my band students while I was away at my conference on Friday? I tell you, I had a completely different band under my baton today. They played amazing! I can hardly believe it is the same group....I mean, yes they had been playing well, but something MAJOR clicked since I last saw them Thursday. The feeling and the subtleness of them being tuned in to me, my baton and the "soul" of the music. Gosh, it was a day! There were so many moments that were simply beautiful.

Like I said...did someone drug my kids? If so, GIVE THEM MORE!

LOL, I booked the buses for contest on March 13 and got the time-line all worked out for the day. Were all just excited as can be...the energy level is amazing.

This evening brought me to my first Passion Play Dress Rehearsal. We did the entire first half of the show pretty much straight on, of course stopped and started several things. It is amazing. The music is beyond lovely (even the "ugly and mean sounding parts when things are turbulent in the story). Abbi is in the first several scenes, and has a stage helper named Julie who just loves on her and shows her everything she needs to do. She is not really much more than a kid in the crowd (most of the choir and kids and everyone on stage is just basically an observer, then some people come dance, sing, etc). When the palm segment is re-created, she gets to wave a palm frond around as Jesus comes in on a real, live donkey. She LOVES it and at one time she looked at me and gave me a thumbs up sign. Not sure where she learned to do that across a room, but she did it to me with the biggest grin on her face, in that instant, I knew she was so very happy and it was a moment I won't soon forget. In a few years, the child will probably be flipping me off! You know I will take the thumbs up for now and LOVE IT. Of course, I told her afterwards that she shouldn't do that as part of the actual performances because in Jesus's time they didn't do that and well, she has to act her part like everyone else. She also gets to be one of the kids to run to Jesus when he shares stories with them.

This evening we got through the garden scene where the disciples fall asleep and Jesus wakes them. This means that tomorrow when we do the rest, it is the not so nice part of the story. I am anxious to see how it all works out. Abbi will dance at the very end (though they are doing that dance first at practice tomorrow).

Did I mention just how much fun I am having playing with the orchestra? I am playing piccolo and plus getting LOTS of flute solos. Afterwards, I had so many people come to me and compliment me, saying so many nice things. Makes my heart feel so precious. Now, imagine when I get that new flute and can fill out the sound even better!

Well, it is very late and I need sleep. Tomorrow is an even longer day. Work, Band, Dress Rehearsal.

GOD IS GOOD and even more than ever, I feel there is a bigger reason why I have been placed in this orchestra at this church.

:)

No comments: