All the teachers were required to attend graduation and had specific "duties". Luckily for me, I got a "free pass" to play my flute with the orchestra, so that was nice. I have to share though..the seriousness of such an important event has been compromised and lessened over the years. It was to begin at 2 pm, which it did, however, for a good 10-15 minutes after the graduates marched in, many people were still pouring in the entrances, talking loudly as if the ceremony had yet to begin. The students who spoke gave nice speeches, and I was mostly impressed with the low number of air horns and such for when the individual names were announced.
I was just not impressed overall. While the orchestra sounded good, and the kids did indeed graduate, it did not feel special. The graduates did not give the principal time to do the actual ceremony of the turning of the tassel before they started throwing their caps and making noise. I remember that being a HUGE thing for me, I remember no one talking or interrupting my ceremony. When it was over, there were people standing around waiting for their kids and that allowed those of us trying to leave to not be able to get by. I think the school could have done a LOT better job on having the teachers assigned certain duties actually following through with them. I think students should have been told where to have their parents wait for them so that the hallways could be clear for those trying to leave.
It has become a show. I only pray that when my daughters graduate, that it is with more dignity and grace and that people all realize the importance of such an event.
OK, my griping is out. Again, I shed no tears as I played with many of my top band players for the last time and saw them for the last time. I just did not think about it. I think we have all already said all of the goodbyes and shed the tears that we needed to.
Dave and the girls went to a cookout for the Knights. They swam all afternoon and came home completely worn out and fell into bed. It was nice to get some hugs from them and sit with them while they ate the cupcakes they had been sent home with.
Dave might be playing golf tomorrow, not sure yet. My plans are to stay home with the girls and enjoy being home again. I go back to work Tuesday and Wednesday to finish out the year with teacher meetings and check-out procedures.
We may get some storms tonight, the radar to the west looks a bit ominous, but we'll see.
whew....I think that puts me at the end of my official duties for the school year.
No comments:
Post a Comment