Thursday, November 25, 2010

And here I sit....

It's 12:38 am and I've had my bath, cooked up a storm, and am simply sitting here in the quietness of my house. I should be tired, but I'm not. Perhaps I'm simply enjoying the quiet, as I'll be in a house of 18 people tomorrow for Thanksgiving, which means NOISY!

The only thing I can hear is the dryer, and the beeping of Dave's cell phone in our bedroom. My cat is cleaning his face on the other side of the couch from me, probably as happy to welcome peace and quiet as I am.

The in-laws arrived this evening, and Grandpa had the girls giggling in no time. They'd give them these super soft throw blankets and he wrapped them up in them....my girls looked like burritos LOL, wish I'd have snapped a picture! But Libbi is now asleep in a recliner in the hearth room and Abbi is asleep in Libbi's bed. The grandparents are in Abbi's room asleep. We had chili (my Mom's recipe) for dinner and it was really good! The guys set off the get the last minute items from Krogers while I worked on making a cranberry cheesecake pie. It smells WONDERFUL by the way, and we're not too sure it'll last until dinner tomorrow LOL!

Weird weather time here. It got to 78 here today, and we have a winter weather advisory for tomorrow night. Go figure, only in Memphis. I kinda hope we do get the snow, would sure make life interesting, for a few hours until it melts!

Dave is convinced the 100 % chance of stormy weather will hold off until afternoon tomorrow, which would allow him, Dad, Kevin and another friend to go play golf. I feel it's wishful thinking, but if it'll get the guys out of the womanfolk's hair for a bit I too hope the weather cooperates. I still have to make the mashed potatoes and corn souffle tomorrow morning. I'll head over to Jen's hopefully by noon, so we can have fun assembling everything and cooking for everyone! Dave will oversee the deep frying of 2 turkeys this year....while Kevin helps watch the oil and flames LOL.

They'll also be playing golf Friday morning, and my Dad will arrive here soon after lunch time. I'll have a full house Friday evening!

I love the holidays! I will be up to watch the parades too, Abbi reminded me of our tradition. It reminds me of my mother, and how she loved Thanksgiving day! It also reminds me of the Thanksgiving in our old house when Libbi was just a baby, when I got the call that Mom's cancer was terminal as it had entered her brain, and she was heading to the hospice wing in the hospital. I can see the moment like it was yesterday, sitting on the end of our table with green legs, with Dave's Dad and Aileen there. I burst into tears., I wanted to be ill, but my family at the table with me helped me get through the dinner. It's always a rough few moments on Thanksgiving Day remembering that, and the flurry in the days after to book a flight to go say goodbye to her while she was still mentally all there. At least I have MANY happy memories of Thanksgiving with her to outweigh that one difficult day. At least I'll be surrounded with my best friends and family once again tomorrow, just the way Thanksgiving should be.

Maybe that's why I'm still awake, to remember these thoughts in private, so that I can smile wide and fully enjoy the day. I really have so much to be thankful for. Even through some current struggles, I am extremely blessed.

ON TO OTHER THOUGHTS....I got my hair cut today, a bit shorter and layered a little more. I'm anxious to see what it turns out like when I wash and style it on my own tomorrow. The humidity of the past few days sure hasn't helped!!!!

Libbi was showing me her yearbook from last year...and I noticed she had drawn on some of the pictures, and highlighted EVERYONE she knew in pink highlighter. Oh my! She's such an odd being at times, I have no explanation for her. She makes weird noises, but then can go to being the cutest little lady diva there is. I don't try to figure her out. Abbi's easy, she's me 30 years ago. I understand that child down to her pinky toe, without question. But Libbi? The books not yet been written on her, she's doing it as she goes.

Well, tis 1 am and I really ought to wrap this up and get to bed. I've checked my kitchen to be sure everything is put away that I cooked this evening. My fridge is jammed at the moment.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone!


No comments: