Friday, November 12, 2010

She's Growing Up!

My "first baby" is growing up on me! She was with me this evening, shopping for some new clothes since she really doesn't have very much due to recent growth spurts. We were in the dressing room, trying on clothes, when she asked me if she could get a training bra. I was a little shocked, but also extremely proud! You see, I was mortified at the thought of going through all those girl changes. I told her I thought usually one needed something to fill the bra with a bit first, but as I thought about it, I realized an awful lot! She then told me most of the other girls in her class wear them, and they are as flat as she is. So, my realizations.....

#1-The girl WANTS to wear one, will it really hurt to get her one and allow her to become accustomed to it as she does start to grow (someday)???? NO was the answer to my own question.

#2-She was brave enough to come to me and ask me flat out. This is a good thing that she sees me as someone who can help her through life, the big (the little), the nothing, the something. She did not make a big deal about it, just asked flat out. Wasn't embarrassed or anything.

#3-She IS growing up right before my eyes. I KNEW she was getting taller, and taller, and taller....but she is turning onto something more sophisticated, more complicated, and so on

#4-this is a battle I refuse to have with her....so what, she wants a bra. I'm pleased at this!

A few weeks ago, I thought she'd started her period. She had dried spots on her underwear and asked me about them, showed them to me. I panicked for a few seconds then told her to let me know if anymore showed up (it never did). As per earlier entries in here, she is going through some "drama" in her emotions/moods, so it's just a matter of time. Why not conquer these "little things" like bras now so they don't get entangled with the "big things" in the near future.

I think we have also decided to break it to Abbi that Santa, tooth fairy, etc. are not real after Christmas this year. She still believes. If she doesn't, she's doing a DARN good job of letting us believe she still believes. The kids at school begin questioning it in 4th grade around here, and our friends told their oldest and will tell the next in line this year. These are the kids our children are ALWAYS with. Their parents have such valid points in telling the kids outright instead of them being crushed finding it out at school. Since both their kids will know, it's time to tell Abbi (in January). I'm confident she'll play the game with Libbi the next few years. Not to mention our friends have a 2 year old so their kids can play the game too! I won't EVER let Santa die in our home, my mother never did and it really added to things.

I wonder what's next????


No comments: