Well, I leave in 8 hours to take the band to St. Louis for a parade and field show competition! We traveled to this one last year and loved it, so we are returning again. Last week was, to say the very least, an extremely tough week. Probably one of the toughest and lowest of my teaching career. I am happy to say that things have started anew this week, I have changed the way things are run and the way I approach the band overall, AND IT IS WORKING! My principals helped me come up with a new and better plan and it is amazing how some things so simple have turned my group around and brought back something special. I expect a HUGE difference in their performance this week. I just wasn't approaching certain things the right way and was shown some other ways to try and it's made the difference.
I will not get into details, it is only important that last week is over and things are so much better now.
I have one student whose grandmother was taken off of life support last weekend, he missed the latest competition and just got back today to be able to make the trip. Another student may miss the trip because he got bit by a spider and keeps getting fevers...his doctor is watching carefully for blood poisoning, so the morning will tell the tale if he can go with us or not. Gosh I hope so, he is so dedicated! I lost another student as he was pulled from the hs in order to attend another school (having nothing to do with the band program at all). I did get in a new student from North Carolina who seems to be so excited to be at Cordova, too bad he wasn't here a few weeks ago to learn a spot on the field! He is already looking ahead to next year though.
The girls are doing well. Abbi started Dance Company this week at the studio. She will be in a Christmas parade and a few nursing home performances. They started learning one of the numbers to RUDOLF, a catchy version of the beloved song we all know. She gets to be in with girls off all ages, even BIG KIDS and the dance is so much more challenging than her regular class. She LOVED it! Abbi lost tooth #2 at school yesterday, she sounds so funny right now. perhaps she should be singing ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS MY TWO FRONT TEETH. She really cranks those suckers out...the first one came out 1.5 moths ago and STILL no sign of the permanent tooth at all (for either I might add). I am consistently amazed at the work she brings home...things I wasn't taught until several grades later at her age. She gets all high marks and is just so smart and works on her own. We rarely have to even ask her to do her homework! Libbi is finally starting to write her name and other letters. I was beginning to think I was going to have to hold her back from Kindergarten next summer, but I think she'll be just fine. She is so funny.
Dave is good...just busy with the Knight's and work. I rarely get a chance to see him....BUT, marching season is over in a few weeks. I am really looking forward to getting time with my family again.
Well, I am trying to pack and finish laundry for my trip. I just wanted to send a little update. I'll let you know ow St. Louis goes with the band.
No comments:
Post a Comment