Monday, October 8, 2007

CADETS VICTORIUS!!!!!

Yes, I returned from St. Louis in one piece, albeit a tired one!

The change in my teaching and approach to my band made the difference! They were awarded the GRAND CHAMPION Parade Band! Color Guard earned first place overall and percussion 3rd place overall, out of 22 bands that competed! It was blazing hot and we all had to push a bit extra to make it through the mile long parade! We then returned to the hotel for a nice shower before heading back to the contest site for the evening portion of our day..the field show contest! There were 27 bands entered in that contest and my students put on the performance of the year for them. I was so proud of them. It wasn't perfect, but I could sense them fighting for each and every part and doing the best they could do. They had to compete in the largest class, Missouri does things based on the school size...and most bands from schools of our size are 2-3 times as large. Does make a difference, but I am proud to say my kids held strong! They were 4th place in their class and 6th overall, pretty good considering Missouri has some darn good bands! Color Guard was named grand champions not only in their class, but also overall as well. Percussion was 4th place overall, QUITE the difference from last weekend when they were I believe next to last place! The kids were happy and nothing can take away the successes!

We spent Friday stuffing ourselves at Lambert's before going the rest of the way to St. Louis. if you've never been there, you need to go. It is amazing and they throw food at you (well, the rolls). Once we got settled at the hotel, I had a 2 hour practice with the kids where I took them out in the local neighborhood to practice for the parade portion of our big gig (we had to do something to work off that huge lunch!). The locals we had talked to, and sort of gotten unofficial permission from to make our own little parade, showed us a cemetery and said it was a great place to circle through...so I decided to make a bit of a lasting memory, and we marched through a cemetery. The kids were so funny and a few completely weirded out, but most thought it was great fun with Halloween coming up. I don't think they will EVER forget that little treck!

We then spent yesterday at Six Flags. Twas a bit of a boring day for me as I am not allowed to ride any rides that could elevate my heart rate too much or get too much blood going through me and down to my leg. GRRRRR! I almost broke the doctor's orders twice, but decided risking my life and well being (not to mention feeling so well) sure wasn't worth it, being that I WAS the Parade Band CHAMPION Director (lol, humor me). My students had a blast and I loved hearing their stories of their fun! The Assistant principal and I chose to find good places to eat and threw our diets mostly out of the window! I don't think french fries ever tasted so good!

So, I have survived one of the toughest few weeks of my life and watched my students make a complete turn around! I can now see the end of the tunnel with this season, only 3 weeks are left, then this show is put to rest and I have my own life back. I will not know what to do with myself being able to go home each day after work, but I am elated to get to soon! You know I will cry when that last contest is over, when reality hits that it is the last time I will see the show performed that I slaved over and watched grow into something special.

I will end this in asking you to pray for my father and my brother. Each is going through some things right now that need some prayers. They are going to be ok, but I am not comfortable sharing the situations in a public blog since right now it is pretty much between family. Just know that extra prayers would be appreciated. I'll share more later.

Off to sleep I go!

No comments: