Friday, October 12, 2007

Mayo Hair Treatments

Well, I got some advice from people then did some research on using mayo to help my girls get rid of the lice. After running the comb through their hair, I plopped them in the bathtub and proceeded to slather Hellman's mayo on both of their heads. Used about half of a jar of the stuff! We had some fun making their hair look weird, then took garbage bags and put them over the hair and tied them tight. The girls played in the tub for a bit. After that, we made them some popcorn and let them watch tv for an hour. After an hour, I took the bags off, we jumped in the shower and washed the hair really good, then ran the nit comb through their hair again. Poor Abbi was falling asleep while standing at the bathroom counter, that girls has so much hair. I did manage to get several eggs (heebie jeebies inserted here) off of her. I kept dipping the comb in a cup of water. Libbi did not have any eggs....I gather her case is just "barely" something. Then, I blow dried their hair. This is wearing thin on the girls, and on me. Dave and I keep checking each other, but so far we are good (knock on wood and anything else I can reach).

Apparently, the mayo is supposed to suffocate the lice and the airholes in the eggs. The oils make everything easier to remove. Seems I have to do the combing thing at least every day or every other. Libbi has thinner hair than Abbi. I think this evening I spent almost 3 hours combing both girls twice.

I NEVER wanted to learn this much about lice in my life. I don't think my brother, sister and I ever had to deal with them. At this point, I am hoping it is not something that the cat can get as well and start a vicious cycle. I have never had to do so much laundry before and I can only imagine the electric bill from having to use so much hot water. Yes, one day I will laugh at all of this, but at the moment it isn't too funny or too fun. We did take pictures of the girls with their mayo heads then after they were bagged as well. Those made for a few fun moments before the dreaded comb had to come out again.

Well, I am blogging this mainly to give the girls a laugh several years down the road, and typing about it somehow is therapy to make me feel a bit better about this nasty little inconvenience! I hope to be able to share good news about the mayo treatment working! Though I understand it may take a few weeks for the cycle to be broken. PLEASE PRAY that it will be very soon. This is not something I'd wish on even my worst enemy. To have my children crying because their neck hurts from being bent over for combing is heartbreaking. To not allow them to hug me full out is heartbreaking, but there are not many ways to break the cycle. It is just day 3 and is wearing thin on all of us. Please God, give us some freedom from these uninvited guests!

More updates soon.

No comments: