Well, the Liberty Bowl Game is all the deal here in Memphis. My high school hosts the hs band competition for the participating bands, so I have been really busy getting ready for that. Yesterday, I had to line/paint two football fields (even though the forecast called for rain and it was just about certain we'd be inside) then we shopped for concession stand items to sell today.
YES, it was very rainy and the fields all a mess, so the decision was made to have the contest inside as a standstill. Of course it meant that 4 hours of work that Dave and I and 2 other people did was sort of a waste, but then again we were inside where it was warm and we were DRY instead of wet and cold.
Dave and I single handedly ran that concession stand and profit stands right around 400 bucks! Not a single band parent or student showed up to help. Naturally, the ones who would normally help emailed me and said they were working or out of town, but don't get me started on the other 75 %. So, instead of the total profit of $1200 (I also had box lunches as a fundraiser to the participating bands) cutting all of the kid's concert season fees by a third...I will be buying some new instruments and other things. I vowed not to show my displeasure at all to the parents, I don't mind doing all that work basically myself in order to help my program. However, my husband, who loves me enough to help me, is the one who deserves the most credit. Not once did he complain, when he had plenty of room or reason to. Instead, he dug right in with me and we made such a great team!
By 2:30 pm, the bands were all gone and we cleaned up and were outta there! I now am officially on break...no worries about work, no work obligations.....just me and my family!
Dave is working at one of the Liberty Bowl team hotels this evening in the coach's hospitality suite. We have both done this in the past with the Knight's at church. I needed to stay home and catch up on laundry and pack for our trip to Ohio. It was really great to be home an entire evening just me and the girls.
Tomorrow, Dave and I will be working at the Liberty Bowl game itself in the sky boxes....again with the Knights. It is one of the dignitary boxes, so I am not quite sure what to expect. We have to dress up nice, and I know last year he got to rub noses with some singers and movie stars! I want to go just to help him and the Knight's said a woman's presence is always a good thing too (not intended as a slam and not taken as one). We have Kristi coming to babysit...she works the desk at the dance studio and the girls ADORE her! We'll be gone all day and evening.
On Sunday, we will wake up bright and early and head to Ohio to visit Dave's siblings and my Dad and Irene and some of our friends. We'll be there Sunday through Friday. I am SO looking forward to it! It has been a year since I was last in Ohio.
Well, I want to go soak in a hot bath...will be another long but rewarding day tomorrow! I am looking forward to the game though! The Bowl Game officials had reserved 2 game tickets for me, but I already had passes for us with us working. They are so nice to me since I let them use my school's facilities and give up my winter break! I digress...... I have the girls things all packed.
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment