Saturday, December 1, 2007

ABBI ROCKS!!!

Yes, Abbi rocks! She participated in her first parade today, and she was so adorable! Her dance company was in the town Christmas parade here and they dressed up as raggedy Ann dolls. The little ones (Abbi included) rode in the back of the Happy Heart pick-up truck, while the big girls danced in front. Abbi looked like such a big girl riding in the truck saying MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

The weather cooperated...it was around 55 degrees! I had Abbi in 4 pairs of tights and 2 shirts under her turtleneck! She did not need to wear her jacket or gloves or anything! The dance Moms were so happy because our girls looked so cute in their costumes, would have been a shame to cover them up with coats!

After we left her on the truck prior to the parade starting, the rest of us went down to park at the park. Libbi had a chance to run and play on the playground and she LOVED that! I found it quite strange to be sitting, hearing other bands warm-up but it NOT being my band haha.

We settled into our chairs as the parade began and soon learned that while they had announced not to throw candy to parade entries, they did anyways. SO, Libbi ended up using the bag to her chair seat to fill with candy....how cute! I am convinced this kid got more candy in a 35 minute parade than in 2 hours of trick or treating!

Libbi had a blast! Abbi came by soon after the beginning of the parade, and waved her little heart out to us. Such the proud Momma I was!

I videotaped the 3 bands that participated, and reminded myself that it was really nice not to be the one performing for a change.

This parade had several floats by local businesses and it was quaint! Once it finished going by us, we hopped in the car and drove down to the town square (the end) to get Abbi. We decided then to stay for the tree lighting ceremony. The town square has a very real looking Santa each year, but we usually do not deal with him there.....HOWEVER, tonight we had the time and didn't want to pass it up! Abbi looked so adorable in her costume, and Mrs. Claus was there too...so once Santa got there, I found myself unexpectedly standing about 3rd in what was deemed the line to visit Santa...so I just stayed there while this huge line built up behind me!

The girls both got their turns on his lap, and I was impressed with the amount of time spent with each child! We had the camera and the video camera, so we got some nice shots! Maybe this year we won't have to deal with the "mall Santa". Abbi told Santa to get her anything he wanted to give her, and she told him she was going to leave him cookies and milk! Libbi told him she wanted Princess music CDs, a new baby doll and anything Princess...at least that's what I think I heard haha. After we said goodbye to Santa, we stopped by the local Mexican restaurant for dinner (so everyone else had the same idea too, it was CROWDED). Abbi decided while washing the Santa sucker goo off ehr mouth to try and wash off the lipstick, rosy cheeks that she had for the parade. Poor girl didn't know that lipstick doesn't come off with water and paper towels. She looked a little strange, but I assured her once we got home I had something that would make her face all clean and normal again!

We came home, got baths and the girls fell asleep having a slumber party in Abbi's bedroom (actually, more like they have Disney Channel on and are both in Abbi's big bed).

What a nice day for our family! Next Saturday, Abbi will go with the dance company to tour some nursing homes. She'll wear the same costume BUT she will actually dance to 2 songs. Unfortunately, I have to miss these performances. I will be in Jackson for the All West band auditions. I am driving up Friday evening and staying in a hotel as I really do not want to drive at 5 am just to get there in time for our meeting! Auditions will go on ALL day Saturday, then I will drive on home. Sunday, we have our church group coming to the house while we host the annual party. I really wanted to hold the party this year, so I signed up to. I love having guests over, and with this group everyone pitches in to help with food so it is not all on me to cook.

My band competed in a parade last night.....and while I'd hoped to bring home the title of first place band again for the second year straight, we did not. We came in third, even though I felt the kids performed a lot better than last year. The competition seemed to be tougher this year. Also, the judges they hire are not band judges. One of the bands that beat us, they marched by us prior to the parade and they caught my attention...one of those "southern stepping" types of bands with the dancing girls and glitter tops. I thought they were quite snazzy, and knew they'd give us a run for our money because they were big, loud and sparkly hehe. Even though my band was probably the cleanest performing (both music and in marching) I have a feeling those other bands caught the crowd's attention since they were bigger and louder! my Cadets looked great in their Santa hats though and appeared to have a fun time! This parade has thousands of people viewing it, and at several points, the little kids all stuck their hands out wanting me to high five them like I was some sort of celebrity or something...that was pretty cool haha.

I was very proud of my students, though my pride hurt a bit. We did win a trophy and prize money. We have another competition parade in 2 weeks, so hopefully we can get that first place there!

I'll be playing flute on a beautiful piece of music at church tomorrow, then I believe we get a day with nothing else planned! I did manage to get time to straighten the house this morning, run the vacuum and sweep some. One would think with me having walked probably 4 miles in the past two days that I would be dead, but I'm not! Looks like my leg is holding up great! Now, if my shoulder would too. This time of year (around band's Holiday concert) my torn rotator cuff acts up awful. I try to be gentle so I can avoid cortisone shots since they really hurt a lot and do not "fix" it for longer than a few weeks. In fact, the entire arm is out of commission and in severe pain for 2-3 days after each shot! I'd have surgery, but at this point of my career, I cannot give my right shoulder 3-6 months of almost complete rest. I could conduct with my left arm, but it isn't my dominant arm and is like trying to write with your "wrong hand". I am happy to say that while it does bother me, it is bearable and after Dec 11, I get to rest it. You should hear the creaking and cracking when I roll that shoulder to try and loosen it up.

Well, I am sleepy and want to take advantage of being able to get LOTS of sleep.

No comments: