My summer break began at noon today! I was at school at 7:45 to help get the cafe ready for a surprise farewell breakfast for our beloved principal. As I have said, she is leaving my school to head up the new school opening this fall here, just happens to be where my girls will be going.
She was SHOCKED, and boy we got her good. One of the kindergarten teachers had made a dvd presentation and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. I love this woman....she is consistent, she is fair, she is thorough, and above all puts the students first and treats her teachers like gold. One of the teachers had a very special bound book made of pictures of each department/grade and we all signed it and gave it to her this morning. She cried and cried. She put so much love into this school and grew into the principal she is today. I know while her new endeavor is very exciting, she is very sad to leave all that has become familiar.
Each table had a box of kleenex on it, and boy did we use them!
The assistant principal that will be going with her to the new school also found it hard to speak. Oh so many tears.
I have NEVER taught anywhere where there was such a feeling of closeness. Instead of teachers worrying about how to get around rules or skimp, we were a family. We knew there was no skimping, so we did our jobs completely and relished our time together as well as the children's lives we know we touch each day.
I will miss her. But thankfully I am elated she will be overseeing my children's education, and I've told her that once I am tenured, if she has a music teacher opening to let me know.
So, being free is a good thing, but so bittersweet too.
As I was reflecting in the quietness of my empty classroom just before leaving, I recalled a year ago all the sorrow I felt over everything and how hurt I was. But today it was a different feeling. It was a sadness of leaving my new friends and a job I really do love for the summer. I know not all the teachers will be back, and I am hopeful that those of us that stay can help make the "new" Dexter just as great. God put me through the trials of last year so He could give me the joys of this year. I am right where I need to be.....my memories of my choir performing so wonderful at their spring concert, watching even the "tough boy" kids have fun playing instruments, to the countless hugs and smiles I was given each and every day. What a gift, a true gift. I turned the light off in my room and shut the door, smiling knowing I would be returning to "home" next year. Somewhere I am loved, and somewhere I have grown to love!
So, summer break....
The girls went to daycare today and will tomorrow, but then they will be home with me the rest of the summer. I am looking forward to it. I am so blessed to be able to have this time with them.
They finished the year on a strong note as well. Libbi's report card was her best yet this year, and Abbi got all A's and had perfect attendance for this last grading period as well as Principal's Honor Roll. She only missed two days of school the entire year, the two days she was out for her surgery.
Libbi has come so far with everything, I am proud of her. She still has some things we need to focus on this summer, but we will.
The girls are at such a fun age right now.......SUMMER IS HERE!
No comments:
Post a Comment