Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

I am actually going to start with yesterday.....

Abbi had to be at Lowe's with her Brownie troop at 10-11 am for a building project, and a parent had to go. So, I went! Libbi stayed home with Dave. She built a neat little planter, got to use a hammer, goggles and everything! She mostly did it herself, quite the crafty little builder she is! She and I then headed to lunch with Ellen and her girls. We went to McAlister's Deli, where we ate outside...it was SO nice! We then tagged along to go see her girls' dance recital. It was SOOO good! Then we went to Red Robin for dinner. Considering there'd been no plans for the day it sure ended up nice!

When we got home, Dave and the girls surprised me with Mother's Day gifts. Abbi made me a rock painted like a ladybug.....really cute and nice too! Libbi gave me a pot painted with her thumbprints made into bugs. Not sure what kind of seeds were planted in it...we'll have to wait and see. Dave gave me a new watch. A beautiful gold and steel Timex, one like I have been wanting fro YEARS! I love it! The cards were cute.

So, we did the whole Mother's Day last night because he had to leave early to get donuts up to church. He said I could stay home and a sleep a bit more. We agreed he would take whatever girl was awake when he left with him....only none were hehe. So, I did get a little more sleep and we were up at church by 9:30.

Abbi had been selected as the girl to do the May Crowning of Mary in the Marian Devotional held in the grotto of our church each year. Dave had to leave to go to the airport for a work trip, so I stayed at church and got Abbi ready.....she wore her first comm. dress again. I braided her hair around her face like a headband, then put the rest in a bun. It was beautiful! I had time so I went ahead and did Libbi's hair the same too.

Abbi was very pretty! I'll have pictures once Dave is back in town and downloads them from the digital camera. There were about 6 Knights in regalia (full tux, capes, feathered hats, swords) and they processed outside to the grotto. Abbi followed them carrying a beautiful crown of roses. They sang and went through a few prayers and songs and readings. Then the Knight's took Abbi up to the Mary statue and helped her up a ladder to put the floral wreath on. She did a wonderful job and looked so sweet! I did get several great shots of all this! After it was over and the people all left....they got the crown and gave it to Abbi to take home.

I was very proud of this. I know this is a HUGE deal at most Catholic schools and even some other churches. Typically, it is older girls, but the Knight's decided a few years ago to use someone who just made their first communion, or a second grade girl. I was touched they picked Abbi! She took her role very seriously!

I was so glad the rain went away in time. The grotto is really pretty and shaded completely by trees. The guys had gone out and cleaned it up a little (it has rained almost nonstop the past week). I was shocked her dress and shoes had not one speck of mud!

We then came home for a bit and straightened up some before heading back to church for a PAC meeting.

I miss Dave. He won't be back until Wednesday. I was so busy all day that it wasn't until a bit ago when I sat down that I felt that normal sadness for missing my Mom. You'd think it would get easier after 5 years, and in some respects it is...but in others it still feels so fresh. I miss her....I long to hug her and talk to her and share my children with her. I feel so much of her within me, and I am blessed!

Well, I still had a great day with my girls and lots of great memories!

No comments: