Monday, May 4, 2009

Abbi's Camp Experience....according to Ellen

My dear friend Ellen sent me an email this morning that basically outlined the weekend far better than what I could have. You see, Ellen was THERE with the girls. She lived every moment, watched over the girls and made sure they had a wonderful time. She got right in with them and did it all. I hope she knows how grateful I am...she is an awesome troop leader.

Here goes....Ellen's words exactly:

This is really wordy but I thought I would give you the blow by blow on the camp experience. Abbi had a blast! She is a great little camper! She and Sarah decided they would be camping buddies the minute we got in the car. When we got there Friday night the girls got out of the car and I had them put there ponchos on as soon as we got them on the skies opened up and pored down buckets! We went to our unit house regrouped and sent the girls to their cabin. Abbi was in a cabin with my Sarah, Alexis and Sarah R. when the girls got up Saturday it was drizzling so we hiked up to the Thunderbird lodge and had breakfast. After breakfast Sarah R got sick and we had to send her home L but we picked up a another little brownie named Shannon her troop never showed up so we adopted her for the weekend. While it wasn’t raining the girls went to various stations to work on a outdoor badge. They learned how to make a microscope out of a Styrofoam cup, saran wrap, a rubber band and water. We went to the campfire site and learned about fire safety. They went on a little hike and learned about leaves and what Poison Ivy and how to identify it. We learned how to tie knots at the Thunderbird and had lunch. After lunch we had some quiet time so we colored our back packs.

The girls were so funny all they could think about was the gullies and all I could think about was all that mud yuck! LOL I kept saying well its about 2 miles to get there and 2 miles back that’s a long walk are you sure you want to go? ( Secretly hoping they would say no.) But they all could not wait to get in that mud! Quit proud of those little girls marching down 2 miles to the gulley. When the got there they had a blast it was hilarious to watch! When it was time to go they did not want to leave. We hiked back and they must have been carrying at least 5 extra pounds of mud on their clothes and shoes. As they walked down the road you would see these huge clumps of mud falling off them as they walked down the road it was hilarious!. When they got back they were hosed off and then showered. MUD !MUD! MUD! They were exhausted! I was exhausted! I always dread the gullies but the girls enjoy it so much it’s worth the mess and walk.

They were like little energizer bunnies all weekend! We hiked back to the thunderbird and ate after dinner we hiked back to our unit house and colored, face painted played around. They were so funny planning a Big Party in their cabin (FYI Big Party means staying up, talking , giggling and playing with flashlights.) We were informed that another monsoon was heading our way so we sent the girls to the cabins around 9:00. I thought every one of those little boogers would zonk out as soon as they hit the cabin but they had other ideas LOL . I lay in my bed watching the flash lights bounce around for about 2 hours then I dozed off. Have no idea when they went to bed. I had a hard time sleeping woke up several times dealing with a few scared girls calling out for their mommies but Abbi was not one of them. Poor Sarah was up taking care of the little brownie we adopted she ended up being a handful. The girls heard a lot of little critters in the woods and rustling around their cabins.

Sunday morning after breakfast the girls cleaned out all the cabins and then we went canoeing they had a great time. We had all the girls out at the same time and just paddled around the lake had a blast!! After canoeing camp was over. I don’t know about Abbi but Sarah was exhausted. When we got home I told Jim “I don’t care what you feed the girls but I am getting in the tub! Dump out the bags and wash it all!!!” While I soaked Jim went and got food for us (Jim does not cook) Sarah ate lay down to watch TV and did not get up till 6:30 this morning. Every bone in my body is sore today I am still exhausted and feel wet even though I’m dry. What a weekend I LOVED IT!!! I hoped Abbie did as well.

No comments: