Friday, November 9, 2007

VERDICT-GUILTY!

WHOO HOO! My jury duty is over and what an interesting turn of events we learned from the judge after the case was over. We found a man guilty of armed robbery. We were only given the information on this case, which we learned happened 5 years ago. There were a few other hearings, which were eluded to by the lawyers, but no real details came out. To make a very long story short, the defense did not do a very good job at all presenting their case or even bring in facts or persons to testify that he said he was going to. One person he did bring in we did not believe at all everything she said. The Prosecutor was a fiesty, young lady! Well, after we deliberated for over an hour, we went back in and handed over our verdict, then went back to wait in the jury room for the judge. He told us that this man had been in and out of the courts and jail for 25-30 years now and this was just one of a number of cases against him. It was also the case that automatically would get him life in prison as a sentence if found guilty. WOW, we had no idea. We thought it was just this isolated case, but of course suspected there was a lot more to the story.

It was quite the learning experience. It hit us when we were sent back to deliverate that this man would probably go to jail on the 2 counts we had in front of us. That's when we realized that the 12 of us would ultimately control his fate, so we made sure we talked over everything and that all of us were certain without a reasonable doubt that he was guilty. Upon going back into the court, I could not bring myself to really look at him as the verdict was read, or the lawyers or the woman robbed in this specific case, even though I wanted to, to see their reactions....curiosity almost won me over, but we just looked at the judge as he read the folder.

I am glad that is over though. I will return to work Monday, to my students who are anxious to have me back! I am looking forward to returning. I am also happy that I get to go to Libbi's watch week at ballet tonight and go in and watch her class. I missed both of Abbi's classes this week because of jury duty. Tomorrow, Abbi and I will drive to Jackson for a meeting for WTSBOA. I have been selected again to chair one of the high school ALL WEST Bands. We'll have breakfast then make sure we are all on board with the events leading up to the clinic weekends in January.

I have calmed considerably in all of the things that had me worked up lately. Being on jury duty showed me how blessed I am to have what I have and that even when things seem bad or frustrating, there are things that could be far worse. I don't know what my job future holds, but that's ok. Turns out Abbi doesn't have any lice or eggs. Libbi did and we are working diligently again to get past that. Lots and lots of laundry, hair combing and cleaning house. Annoying, but necessary.

:)

No comments: