Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Good to be back to work!

It was so nice to return to work after last week not being there. My students were so glad to see me (I guess the sub was a little strict lol) and it is good to be back doing what I love to do...teaching band! It's a VERY busy week (has there been one yet that hasn't been?) but that's ok. I started doing seating auditions yesterday and am over halfway completed now. I am again in AWE of the talent level of especially the freshman! The vets have certainly taken note and are pushing themselves even harder as well! I hope to finish these tomorrow so I can let the kids know where they will be. Another cool thing, after each student plays, the entire class has taken to clapping for them...it is pretty nervewracking to play alone, add to that 60 of your best friends and critics! I do this so that all can hear how everyone plays, plus it makes them stronger players to get over this fear of playing alone.

I finally began the after school jazz band....the course I offer during the day does not allow all students who want to participate to do so, mostly due to class conflicts and the fact that I require them to be in regular band class first as well. So, when I saw my small classs size and very uneven instrumentation this year, I decided to keep the class but also do an after school portion too, to give every shot! Well, I have 13 kids in the class and I had 23 show up to the practice! WHOO HOO...you should have heard them jam! It is going to be so much fun! I am willing to give an hour a week up just for them, they are so excited!

In my absence, a handful of brass students decided to make up a quintet and buy some really great arrangements of Christmas music. They worked alone last week, then came to me and asked me if I could stay after school a bit so they could stay in the bandroom and practice...I said SURE! I tried so hard to just let them be, they were sounding really amazing! They do have one tricky piece though and they did summon me from my office to conduct and "help"...yes, those 6 young men decided they needed my help after all (lol, this is in pure fun, not serious) to conduct the tricky piece (it keeps changing time every few bars). I looked at my watch and an hour had flown by, but geeze they were making great music! I talked with them about how they should call some of the local churches and try and see about providing some lobby type music at holiday events, these kids simply want to play because they love to do it. They were all psyched and I wouldn't be surprised if they do line some gigs up for themselves and maybe even get paid! They really were that good in my mind! I asked them to be the opening number on our big Holiday concert on this tricky piece they have, they were tickled to death! I had already told them they could play several other selections in the lobby before the regular band concert.

OK...do you get the idea that I love most of my job???? These students are why I teach! It's a shame the other part of my job still has to be stressful, but I have taken the necessary steps to pursue and protect. I choose to dig in and teach these kids the very best I can, and that is precisely what I am doing!

This weekend, my school is hosting the jazz and orchestra auditions for West TN. Almost 570 kids are scheduled to audition. I have had to get classrooms lined up to be audition rooms, schedule directors to work and work out some other logistics. Thankfully, I do NOT have to hire judges or schedule each of those kid's audition times....WHEW! Saturday will be a long day, I have 8 students auditioning. Of course, I learned today that the school is also hosting a pre-season wrestling tournament the same day, wow that is going to make it a little nuts!

My own girls are doing great...we had a very nice evening working together on homework/studying with Abbi. I put Libbi to work practicing writing her name and drawing shapes. This is all stuff I missed out on with them during marching season. Abbi has had a few rough days at school, but I think she'll get back on track. Libbi and our cat Shakespheare are like best buddies! This cat, as I have always said, thinks he is a dog. Libbi is so sweet to him and he will just lay there and allow her to love on him and pet him! The girls have really started to play together a lot better lately, they play a lot of school and mommy/baby. With Libbi getting older, she can relate to Abbi a lot more and can do more of the things Abbi can do. It brings back memories of my sister and I. Who knew I taught my sister to read when she was just 3? I just knew I was playing and being a teacher like my mommy and Michelle was the closest thing to a student I had. I had no idea what I was doing.....I see Abbi doing the same with Elizabeth now and it makes me smile!

Well, I vowed to get to bed early tonight...I have to give a huge test to my first period class tomorrow (Sound of Music) then continue with the auditions for seating. 6 am sure comes early and it is harder to get out of bed when it is colder outside and I just want to stay in my warm bed!

:)

No comments: