Monday, November 5, 2007

A new task for me.....JUROR

Gosh, did I ever get a CRASH course on the judicial process today! As you can tell, I was indeed selected and seated as a juror. I arrived at 8 am in a room with about 300 other people and we listened to about 1.5 hours of instructions, advice, etc. It wasn't as bad as it may seem, the man is indeed somewhat funny. The morning was then quite boring, but thankfully I saw some people I knew so I had people to chat with amongst doing some school work. They let us go to lunch and a friend from church and I went to a great BBQ place for lunch. Mike is an architect downtown and we are friends with him and his wife and Mike and Dave are in the Knight's together. Let me tell you, it sure helps to have someone around who knows where places are to eat and how to get around downtown! Anyway, I got called around 2 pm, then they walked us to the criminal court next door and we proceeded to sit in the lobby for 2 more hours. That time went quickly, I spent it talking to the trombone professor form U of M, who also had the same "luck" as I. We talked "shop" and it was humbling and nice to have him give me a lot of comments on a great marching season....WHOO HOO! Needed that. So then we just chatted on music until we went in. They put 20 of us out of about 40 up in the front of the courtroom and went through the process of questioning to narrow us down. Yes, you guessed it....I was picked to stay for a criminal case. I can't get into the details , but it was odd, weird and strange, but I understand the judicial process a bit more already. I was told the case should take a few days. We'll see what else I learn through this new adventure! We were dismissed about 5:15 pm and it took me 1.5 hours to drive home (ugh, very bad traffic that reminds me how blessed I am to not work downtown). I am sad that I missed Abbi's ballet "watch week"where parents actually get to go in the studio and watch class. We usually are behind glass and cannot see in the door very well at all. BUMMER! Oh well, my civic duty calls and hopefully I won't have to miss the girls other classes to watch this week.

So, day one down and I lived through it. It got to almost 80 degrees today, but tomorrow they are saying it won't top 55 degrees..YIKES! Gotta just love Memphis weather in November.

No comments: