Well, only a few days late in my greeting, but that's because I have been busy enjoying my family. We have had a great break from work and school! Dave's Dad and Aileen came down for the holiday and we had some neighbors come over for dinner on Turkey Day too. I made a homemade apple pie, we deep fried a turkey and I tried my hand at baking one in the oven using the bag method (oh wow, very yummy), Dave's dad made the mashed potatoes, and we just all contributed to cooking. We had the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on as we all cooked and prepped, just a nice day!
Dave and his Dad went to play golf on Friday, as Aileen and I and the girls braved the mall (the traffic wasn't bad, the crowds were not bad, but the lines to check out were pretty rough). The girls needed new winter coats, and what better day to get those than a day where they are so marked down? I also got them some other clothes as well as a Christmasy outfit to wear for pictures. Aileen couldn't pass up buying them new Christmas dresses and really cozy flannel pajama/robe sets. They love those new PJs and have been in them a lot since yesterday!
Girls were pretty well behaved at the mall considering they just were dead tired and the fact that they are 4 and 6 years old. Libbi had one moment in Children's Place where she had to go potty and I had already been waiting in line for 15 minutes and Aileen was across the mall looking at something. Thankfully, an employee took Libbi to a bathroom in the back, usually for employees only, so my girls did not have an accident. However, it was a rough and embarrassing few minutes with my child shrieking and me trying to distract her. Remind me NEVER to wait in a line for so long by myself with the girls again. At JC Penney, we waited for 35 minutes in line, and at Children's Place it was maybe 25 minutes...ugh, but worth it. People were generally happy, especially my Libbi after getting to go potty. On the way home, we stopped at Kroger to get Aileen some Skyline Chili, and both girls had major meltdowns in the aisle, I simply left them screaming no the floor and walked to checkout. Of course they figured out I wasn't playing and quickly caught up.
Upon returning home and getting both tucked in for a much needed nap, I learned that the girls dance teacher's husband committed suicide last week. I knew there had been a death in the family, but had no idea it was her husband...oh man! I had met him and talked with him on several occasions, and I know his wife and young daughter just were over the moon for him. All I know is that he went out of town and committed suicide, WOW. I am so sad for Bandi, I know she is heartbroken. And their poor little girl. I made up two big pans of spaghetti and Dave delivered those to the church this morning where they were having his memorial service. Dave ran into Brandi while trying to find where to drop the pans off and said she was just so out of sorts. I just do not even want to begin to imagine. Of course, I wonder how the girls going back to dance will go, if they will reopen the studio. It has been closed over a week now, and there are supposed to be parades next weekend for Abbi. I certainly understand if things change, I am just curious and I also feel so badly for Brandi and her family.
I was not in the mood to cook dinner, so we decided to all go out for BBQ at one of my band student's parents restaurants....it was wonderful, and Max was the ever gracious host making sure everything was to our liking.
Dave's Dad left today to go back home, they had cabinets being installed in their new condo Monday and considering it is over 1200 miles to get home, well they needed to leave bright and early today. Dave's friend from Ohio Danny, spends each Thanksgiving just an hour away from us, so him and two of his four kids came down today. It was very nice seeing them, and reminds me of how I do miss Ohio and "home". After we had turkey sandwich's (yum), they packed up and left to go back and them we got the girls settled in for a nap and proceeded to nap ourselves. 2 hours later and a bit refreshed, we were all awake and ready to spend a nice, quiet evening with just us and the girls.
It has been a nice break, and soon enough I'll be longing for winter break. It is finally COLD, the high today only hit 45 degrees and Dave said it was sleeting when his Dad let this morning. I really would just love some snow! Instead we are getting a very cold rain.
Well, I wanted to get an update in before life picks up again in momentum. All is good here and I hope you had a nice holiday as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment