We FINALLY got some much needed rain here! About 5.5 inches worth, and it isn't done yet! The parched ground is LOVING it. I am just hoping that my band can still do their show night tomorrow evening in the school stadium, it is their first time to do the show in full uniform and such. They have their first contest this weekend...but first things first!
My sister, her husband and 7 month old baby came down from Chicago for a visit this past weekend. We had a VERY relaxing an LOVELY time! Austin is such a cutie and all three kids (Abbi, Libbi and Austin) were so well behaved this weekend! We basically lounged around the house and the girls played with the baby while the guys watched football. We were all in a little bit of heaven. The rain kept us pretty much inside, but none of us were complaining!
It meant a lot to me to have my sister come for a visit, and seeing her as a mother (she always claimed motherhood wasn't for her, but then decided to give it a shot) was special. We both share a lot of the same "mom feelings"....niether of us is stay-at-home material as we need a connection to the outside world and the students we teach. She's a health/phys ed teacher at a posh HS in Chicago and will return to work in 6 weeks). It was strange to see just how alike we are!
So, yes, the band has their first contest this weekend. I am very excited, and of course nervous as well. They will perform the entire show, just not march the last few sets (they'll stand and play). My students seem pretty excited this week. I keep saying that this is a very special group and I think they will do exceptionally well. They are up against some tough competition this weekend and some even tougher competition next weekend.
The girls had a soccer game tonight, and Abbi scored 4 goals. WOW...she is good at it! Libbi, on the other hand, is more like me on the field...doesn't want to be there and has no desire to run after a ball that's rolling on the ground. She didn't take to TBall all that great either, so she probably got the Jennie genes! She is VERY athletic and loves her dance classes...so perhaps she is our artsy one. Abbi is doing well in school and it still amazes me how much homework and such that she has. She is only in first grade and is doing work I did not get introduced to until 3rd grade...WOW..kids these days. The words she is reading are simply amazing! It seems Libbi is finally taking notice of letters and things, she's in preschool. Abbi was like a sponge with all that kind of stuff, but Libbi is just taking her sweet time. She knows what it all is, but she deals with it all on her terms. She is happiest playing school or mommy with her dolls (or sister), she likes role playing (theater gal perhaps????). I still hate that I get to spend very little time with them during marching season, as I know it does affect their behavior in general. But, I think now that school has been back for a month, a nice routine has been established and things are going smoother.
Well, I know this is fairly "quiet" for me, but I am going to cut this short to go take a nice, hot bubblebath. I got the girls in bed (Dave is at a meeting) and need to just chill a bit. It's a busy week, so I may not get the chance to update until after the contest. WISH MY KIDS LUCK!
No comments:
Post a Comment