Well, I took my band to Ripley, TN for a USSBA (United States Scholastic Band Association) competition yesterday. They put on a very respectable show and earned 2nd place in their class (only out of first place by 0.2 points!!!!) and 4th place overall (there were 2 huge bands there known for winning at the state and regional levels above us, but not by but less than 3 points)!
My band was awarded BEST VISUAL (meaning how they execute the moves they do) and BEST OVERALL EFFECT (how the entire show fits together....music and drill, the whole concept of the entire package of all the parts together...does band fit percussion, guard fit what the music is doing, etc.). The color guard earned 2ND place overall.
The judges told me that this is a great show and it is on the right track! I need to work on a few minor things with them to improve overall...but getting the rest of the drill moves on the field will help and fixing some other things will too.
My students had so much enthusiasm and energy heading into this first competition, I have NEVER seen a group of mine so excited. Strangely, I was calm going into the competition, until right at the end of warm-up when one of my students had a really bad asthma attack that I had to deal with until one of my chaperone's could take over. I was almost late moving my band down to the show field! The EMTs gave my student pure oxygen (her inhaler takes time to work on the bad attacks) and the ambulance then drove her down to the field to perform YAY!
I was pleased with their performance, and they were more than excited once we learned we had beat a band that we NEVER beat last year. Weird...these kids no longer cared if they got first place or not once they heard we beat Brighton HS! It shows a good character that they could take pride in that detail and not dwell on how close to first place they were. I keep saying there is something very special about this group of kids!
Next weekend we have 2 contests in one day, both at the same location about an hour NE of here in Jackson, TN.
I received a special email this evening. There is a Band Director/Judge who has been doing his "craft" for more years than I have been alive. He was not judging the contest last night, but was there observing this panel of judges on this judging circuit as he will soon be judging with them. He has judged us MANY times in the past, and is always extremely critical. Well, he took the time to tell me he was in the press box last night and decided to stay and watch my band perform. He sent me an email today saying that he loved the show my kids put on and that they really had a VERY strong start to the season as compared to recent years. He said there seems to be a special spark to my group this year that should make this a wonderful year for them. WOW....this guy is BIG in the band world and he complimented me and my students. He normally is one tough guy, not one I often like to have judge my group. However, to get such a high compliment made my day!
If that isn't "feather fluffing" then I don't know what is!
Well, as you can see, it is after midnight, and yes, I have to teach school tomorrow.
On regular Jennie stuff....I have dropped about 5 more pounds and had to break down and go get some dress pants for work and a new black blazer to wear for contests. I am really not working hard to drop the weight...I do not even really keep track of my food on weight watchers anymore. I know what I need to do (eat) and do my best to do it right. I am certainly not perfect, but I try. I also have been feeling fairly good (despite swollen leg earlier this week...2 inches...YIKES) and throwing myself into teaching and working with the band (and being on my feet, walking, etc). For the first time that I can remember, I am wearing more form fitting clothes. I get so many compliments from people who only see me every so often on how good I am looking. It makes me feel good! Even my band students are starting to say that I look nice and such....a teenager giving that sort of compliment is a huge thing!
The girls are good. Libbi is NOT proving to be our soccer player, while Abbi just scores goal after goal. Libbi is a bit more sensitive in her spirit (hm, perhaps like me????) and boy does she have a temper and not a lot of patience (hmm....sound familiar????). She had a meltdown at lunch today while we were out with friends and I took her out to sit on the curb for a bit with me to give her a change to regain her sweet self. She did and then got to eat.
Well, if I do not go to bed, I will not get a chance to sleep since my alarm goes off fairly early.
It's another busy week, but I will try to update.
No comments:
Post a Comment